Conspiracy Theories Are Dangerous No Matter How Many People Believe Them

This is an excellent tutorial on conspiracy thinking. It psychology overlaps with urban legend. I’ve been fascinated by the phenomenon since I took a course in social psychology some time ago. The absence of critical thinking plays a part, but as someone here pointed out, some persons seem to be hard-wired to believe conspiracies. Another expert says they come from:

• A need for understanding and consistency (epistemic).
  • A need for control (existential)
  • A need to belong or feel special (social)

There is a Huge difference between the knowledge of the things you cite and the truly delusional
anti-factual conspiracies that the trump crowd is putting out.

There has long been a denial of facts by those in power simply by calling them conspiracies- or fake news as is now the pejorative slur from protofascists. For how long has the United States denied its culpability in the conspiracies i cite? I use this forum not to condone Q level nonsense, but to help us all recollect that painting something as a conspiracy theory does not make it untrue. The conspiracies I cite were denied by those in power for decades, a denial which has allowed the power of untrue conspiracies to flourish. That is the critical point I am making. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available