Conservative Supreme Court Justices Attack Roe Head-On

Actually, I think most of female America will just go on with their lives, buy Xmas presents and move on in an “oh well,” kind of way. Progress and regress are the results of the passionate minority.

33 Likes

I’m shocked /s

2 Likes

I am waiting for the first prosecution of a woman traveling to a blue state for an abortion and then prosecuted when she returns to her red toilet. (That is most likely in Texas where you can be a vigilante for virtually no cost.)

23 Likes

Vaccines? Hell no, it’s MY choice.

Abortion? Hell no, it’s not YOUR choice.

46 Likes

The framework for Julie Rikelman’s argument was the concept of liberty: That if women were denied access to abortion, they would suffer an undue burden of unwanted parenthood and be denied employment opportunities (and others) that come from not having children. I think she missed the opportunity to reinforce her argument when justices suggested that overturning decisions does have precedent. Each and every case they used to support their arguments (Plessy, Brown v. Board, etc.) were overturned to expand liberty.

Overturning Roe might be the first time SCOTUS overturned a previous decision to restrict liberty.

50 Likes

The plutocracy will not abide that. The oligarchy needs a centralized military to carry out its corporate imperialism. We are headed to a fascist state in which violent war is waged upon the majority of the country by a well-funded minority of white Christian nationalists in order to establish their permanent minority-rules white Christian hegemony. Police departments will be co-opted. Oligarchs will pour money into the project in the name of “returning the country to order” as social civility collapses and riots take the streets in response to this nonsense. Protesters of he overturning of Roe will be met by crowds of celebrating white Christian nationalists and there will be blood in the streets, shots fired. This is a breaking point decision and these fuckers know it 100%. IT’S PART OF THEIR PLAN. Watch how hard they crack down on pink-hatted old ladies who take to the streets. The system is collapsing as we speak, and that is by design, because the GQP believe it can win the civil war this time…and they’re probably right since they have all the guns and the yahoos. But because they’re a shrinking minority, they’re only choice is to continually and forever tighten the noose to hang onto power while making sure democracy cannot happen. History teaches there is only one solution to that.

10 Likes

Manchin and Sinema are obviously a gigantic obstacle to progress.

And there are probably other Dems who don’t make the same noise but are not too sorry that Manchinema are preventing certain things from happening.

But there are other D’s like AOC and Sherrod Brown, who are actually trying to do things that the modal reader of this board thinks need to get done.

It’s frustrating as hell voting for D’s and having things merely not get worse (or get worse more slowly than they otherwise would).

But there’s no really credible way in which withholding votes from “Democrats” as a whole makes things better.

It sucks, but sometimes life sucks.

22 Likes

She begged him to lie to her.

20 Likes

And how do you think that ends, if not war? Because eventually, some of those insular groupings decide to cut their losses and not support the financially-dependent red states.

12 Likes

I would really like it if someone would tell me how an abortion infects a non related human being. /s

10 Likes

Well, plus one of the unintended consequences that the righties can never foresee. There will be many, many more babies born to the poor women who now have no access to abortion…and wink, wink, we know who those poor women are, don’t we? So the welfare rolls will balloon out of sight, and it will cause more howling and gnashing of teeth on the stupid right wing over another problem that they caused, but will, of course never take any responsibility for.

20 Likes

Time to reup Court reform.

32 Likes

I can’t get over the notion of letting states decide what’s right for anyone let alone women. The disparate attitudes around reproductive rights between states is too wide; leaving significant numbers of women in a very precarious situation. These decisions have to be made on a federal level but given the present Supreme Court the outcome seems hopeless.

20 Likes

Seems like I remember you saying something about… was it… VIOLENCE?

4 Likes

And they will continue to vote as their husbands tell them to.

9 Likes

OT: NPR reporting Omicron arrived in the US from RSA on 11-22 .

8 Likes

Overturning Roe will mark the end of the high court’s legitimacy.

It will accelerate shifts among college educated whites to Dems, especially women.

It will accelerate the participation of Latinos, and especially Latino women, which will also increase Dem support.

It doesn’t take much for Dems to consistently win in AZ, TX, NC, GA or even FL. We’re really talking about a shift of 3 points or so among whites. This type of decision will make that happen more quickly.

We don’t know if the Court will outlaw abortion entirely or find some middle position to allow states to have a free for all on abortion rights, but you will see more states, especially blue states, rewrite their constitutions to essentially grant rights to people which will lead to conflicts and a movement to nullify or ignore SCOTUS decisions.

44 Likes

And they legislatively restricted it to 8 members for 9 months.
So more lies from liers. Not like you don’t know but… just pointing out the hypocrisy.

11 Likes

That’s more likely.

3 Likes

Good luck with the alternative.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available