CDC Director Says Guidelines On Reopening Schools Won’t Change Despite Trump Complaints

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Robert Redfield stated on Thursday morning that the agency’s recommendations on how schools can reopen in the fall will not be altered despite President Donald Trump’s attacks against them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319451

Cajones implant?

6 Likes

Director Robert Redfield stated on Thursday morning that the agency’s recommendations on how schools can reopen in the fall will not be altered despite President Donald Trump’s attacks against them.

Showing some spine there Redfield…

How hard is your spine?

Meanwhile:

5 Likes

We’re not going to change the guidelines, but we’re going to issue clarifications that change the guidelines.

6 Likes

Didn’t read the article because I have to walk the dog and eat lunch (plus I’m already burned out on the major news of the day) but clearly, Mr. Director is walking it back because the blowback from the media and the public put his entire agency on a lifeline due to his own ridiculous comments the other day.

If you can’t trust the CDC during a pandemic, who the fuck can you trust? I’m guessing Dr. Fauci probably gave him a good talkin’ to and helped reinforce his spine. It was either that or a transplanted spine was already on order for this bozo after his last appearance at a press conference. Keep walking that tightrope Mr. Director and eventually you’re gonna fall if you don’t stand up straight and maintain your objectivity and balance.

8 Likes

“The guidelines are the guidelines! But we will spew a bunch of additional horseshit to undermine them in order to placate Orange Julius.”

4 Likes

Here is what you should do, and here is what imPOTUS wants us to say.

2 Likes

Countdown to sheepish walkback?

1 Like

Not to be a downer, but shouldn’t there be some thought also put into what circumstances would require closing the schools later?

Certainly there should be some discussion of the criteria requiring re-closing schools, just as there is discussion of those for re-opening. The last closing was obviously done under extreme circumstances, with little opportunity to really develop appropriate criteria. That can be done now, or at least addressed.

When all those college students come back to campus, from areas where infection rates are high, that could well spark increases, and we need to have decision points ready for implementation. Right?

8 Likes

So, Dr. Redfield has some grandchildren who might die, if Trump’s plan is enacted?

1 Like

Palin was right- there ARE ‘Death Panels’. It’s called the GOP.

Register people to vote. Be SURE you can cast an absentee ballot if trump tries any crap and VOTE BLUE!

6 Likes

The CDC Director made a choice, the people over the President. I think as Covid-19 burns down a lot of Red States Republican politicians are about to jump off the President’s bandwagon and Dr. Redfield sees the handwriting on the wall. Spanky’s toast. If we were Rome the Praetorian Guard would be picking a new Emperor.

8 Likes

He should know now he’s not the fucking king.

2 Likes

Yet another victim of the TrumpPandemic.

15 Likes

But he did not lay out his perfect beautiful plan.

3 Likes

Can someone more up on things explain this to me?

I thought the sequence was

1. CDC guidelines
  2. Trump tantrum (Tantrump?)
  3. CDC says will issue revised guidelines

I wonder if yesterday’s statement was simply a way to placate the toddler in chief?

If I was Redfield, on seeing Trump’s tweet, I would immediately call the Fox News people and tell them I was gonna announce a revision, which they should cover so that Trump could see it, but the next day I would “clarify” that I simply meant additional guidance (additional guidance that the CDC probably always meant to release…I suspect the CDC will he releasing additional guidance on a regular basis while this pandemic is with us).

And simply not have Fox cover this second statement.

3 Likes

“Why…in some states, masks don’t work at all.”

2 Likes

This guy’s fired in 3… 2… 1…

They don’t work in the state of being brainless. Masks are required in public places in my state, and most people seem to be wearing them. BUT: My friends went to Home Depot the other day, and the guy who was helping them pulled his mask down off his nose and mouth to talk to them. They left the store and are now self-quarantining for 14 days before they can visit an elderly medically fragile parent.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available