Carroll Blames Trump For Elle Mag Firing | Talking Points Memo

Elle magazine advice columnist E. Jean Carroll, who accused President Trump of sexually assaulting her in the mid-1990s, told the New York Times Wednesday that Trump’s onslaught of insults led to the publication’s decision to fire her.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1292090

Oh, this should end well for Elle. Women just love to see another woman directly targeted and fired for speaking up about sexual assault.

I guess they’re relying on men and Shithead’s “base” to keep them afloat. :rofl:

18 Likes

Cowardly magazine management…they totally knuckled under to Trump and his minion’s attacks against Carroll. It’s a sad example they are setting, this is how authoritarian leaders use the mob to shut down any criticism, which leads to no accountability from any of the parts of civilization that could stand up to the dictator. Every day, we move more and more towards seeing this permanently embedded in our nation, and it’s the fault of the Republican party for not standing up to Trump and the base’s desire to do whatever they want.

Really, November is the last chance we have to shut this down, if Trump and the Republicans retain any measure of control over the national government we’re heading towards a dictatorship, and four years will give them plenty of time to make it permanent.

19 Likes

I can’t imagine why Elle would do this, I really can’t.

Stupid.

20 Likes

Advertisers.

10 Likes

Cowardly, yes. But remember they make their money from advertising, not directly from subscriptions (although they need numbers, of course). I would love to know if they’ve seen advertisers leave.

5 Likes

If so, then as @tena put it so succinctly: Stupid. Plenty to go around it appears.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine why 53% of white women voted for Trump, but it really happened.

Not a surprising decision for a magazine whose readership is overwhelmingly white women, particularly white women of means.

8 Likes

I can’t imagine why 63% of white men voted for Trump!

p.s., some recent analysis puts white women more like 47% to 45% Trump/Clinton.

6 Likes

As we both know, the ad revenue is tied to subscribers and site visitors. I smell a boycott brewing.

Still early days as it sounds like Carroll’s firing just happened but I don’t see this ending as a net positive for Elle.

8 Likes

The problem for me is that I already don’t read Elle :joy:, thus making my participation in a boycott difficult. I did consider subscribing to Teen Vogue for Lauren Duca, but she has moved on.

Remember back when I was a kid. The coffee table was littered with Good Housekeeping, Ladies’ Home Journal, …etc… A different world.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see who the first reporter to die in a mysterious accident will be.
It will be sad to see all the other news organizations hem and haw and delicately tip-toe up to Republican senators and ask them not-very-difficult-questions about it. Maybe a 40 second newsbite about how some people some times think that assassination is wrong, but then they’ll go to an expert that explains that humans have been killing each other for thousands of years, so, please keep shopping online.

7 Likes

“Surprise, surprise, surprise.”
— Gomer Pyle, 1962

#ETTD

Fun Fact: Writers Everett Greenbaum and Jim Fritzell are credited with creating the character of Gomer Pyle. The character was based on an incompetent gas station attendant whom Greenbaum met and named after Gomer Cool (a writer) and actor Denver Pyle AKA Briscoe Darling.

5 Likes

of white women who voted. That’s not 53% of white women in America. It’s sickening, even more sickening than the apathy, but we need to look at the whole picture.

8 Likes

Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong, does Elle have much circulation or supermarket pick-up in Eastjesue, Nebraska or Bumphuq, Michigan?

1 Like

Domestically, I’d specify. Reporters around the world are killed on a regular basis. Or mysteriously poisoned in a way that suggests the next time you won’t get better. Not that we haven’t had suspicious deaths here. But yes, it’s very plausible it would play out as you imagine.

6 Likes

You tell people often enough that a woman candidate is unlikeable it’s going to have an effect. Add to that the email dustup which erupted just a couple of days after the Access Hollywood tape thanks to Wikileaks and lasted until the end of her campaign, thank you Jim Comey. trumPP’s one lucky SOB.

5 Likes

A magazine FOR women fires a woman because the President who a bully and a thug and a predator ‘attacks’ her. Oh…OK.

9 Likes

FEAR! Trump instills fear in people and organizations. They have witnessed his revenge responses. He will go on Twitter or in front of any mike and slander anyone or group viciously and repeatedly.

2 Likes

If I wasn’t very happily married to my beautiful Syrian wife I would swear off white women forever. :unamused:

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available