Capitol Police Officer Who Killed Ashli Babbitt Will Sit For Interview With NBC | Talking Points Memo

The Capitol Police officer who killed Ashli Babbitt during the Jan. 6 insurrection will reveal his identity in an NBC News interview set to air on Thursday night.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1385732

We’re about to see just how clearly the GOP’s cry of ”Blue Lives Matter!” is utter and total bullsh-t.

45 Likes

I gotta boogie, but if the African American community wanted to string up Tarrio, what do you think they’ll do to anyone attacking that officer?

9 Likes

It was inevitable. His identity has no doubt been leaked already, as evidenced by the credible death threats. His best protection, as sad as it is to admit, is to go public. It’s like everyone pointing at Peter Parker and mocking him for being Spiderman. At that point, the game’s over, and no amount of magic or wishful thinking will change things.

13 Likes

You mean it is cheap and easy sloganeering?

I’m shocked, shocked I say.

7 Likes

Engage in a public and deeply philosophical debate about their beliefs?

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Blue lives Matter
or
Ashli Babbitt killed Ashli Babbitt

22 Likes

I disagree. Are the existing death threats aimed at him personally, or at him as the unknown officer who shot Babbitt to protect members of congress from the immanent threat they faced? I’m guessing the latter. If his/her name was known it would have been splashed over the media and especially social media.

6 Likes

I wonder if there’s footage of the attack from the other side of that door. It wouldn’t matter much to the radicalized among us, but maybe more people would understand if they saw an out-of-control mob trying to get at you that wasn’t composed of zombies but of real people in a bloodlust that was scary from any perspective. She was climbing through the damn window and more would have come after her and the defenders were out of good choices. Oh, and may whatever gods may be damn the people who’ve used this for cynical partisan purposes. God damn every one of them to hell.

30 Likes

I suspect -and am by no means ‘in the know’ on any of this- that the media knows his identity, also, and has refused to divulge it. Divulging it would put them at risk of lawsuits. In the entire panoply of D.C. police, surely there are one or two who would gladly give up the name to some dumb-ass right-wing cause.

6 Likes

Betcha NBC stroked this guy a six figure check to do this interview.

3 Likes

Suicide by insurrection, nothing more, nothing less.

19 Likes

On a side note, it’s great to see TPM posting some timely, relevant stories. Keep it up!

21 Likes

Only if the Blue Lives are on the correct side of the issue.

7 Likes

14 Likes

Pretty sure his voice, face will be disguised

10 Likes

MAGA/Republican Motto:

“We back the Blue until there’s a coup!”

18 Likes

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before: I approve of the professionalism of that shooting: he fired only one shot, hit his target, fired from an angle where if he had missed there were low odds of hitting bystanders*, and did not succumb to the practice taught in so many cities’ PDs where if you’re going to fire a shot you should empty your magazine.

*technically the insurrectionists still on the other side of that door were not yet eligible for lethal response, though my sympathy for them would be extremely limited had they taken any bullets

23 Likes

O/T but great news
Let the GOP squeals begin
Blinken estimates 1,500 Americans may still await evacuation - Chicago Sun-Times (suntimes.com)

9 Likes

or

“We only back the blue when they’re killing black!”

8 Likes