Capitol Police Are Investigating Whether Lawmakers Gave Tours To Rioters Before Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

The Capitol Police said on Friday that they had opened an investigation into whether members of Congress inappropriately provided visitors access to the U.S. Capitol before it was stormed last week, responding to concerns raised by several lawmakers that they believed some of their colleagues may have provided members of a violent pro-Trump mob an inside look at the buildings within days of the attack.  

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355012
1 Like

Just on speculation alone I could name a bunch of them. The front of the line is pretty crowded on who conspired into this failed coup attempt.

42 Likes

This wouldnt surprise me at all

25 Likes

Chicken henhouse, meet fox

39 Likes

The fact that normal tours were greatly restricted due to COVID-45 only make the GOP guided tours that much more sinister.

Inevestigate, expel, convict, and lock 'em up!

79 Likes

Have any of our elected officials begun fundraising off of the Trump Insurrection? Cruz? Hawley?

20 Likes

Nothing the GOP is capable of surprises me. We will need to see the findings of the investigations. I speculate some reps may have been used. They were showing off for their constituents giving them a covo prohibited view behind the scenes to show them what big shots they are. The entire time the My Pillow Putschists were on reconn.
At least
I hope so. A prof I had in college used to say
Don’t ascribe to malice what can be more easily explained by stupidity.

58 Likes

Lawmakers aside, there has been inside information going out since day one. If he thought it would help his delusions you can bet the farm he invited FSB agents.

42 Likes

No, but you sure know Antifa is cashing in on it.

Just more money for their lavish headquarters, and golf courses.

42 Likes

If members of Congress are guilty I hope the gallows were not taken down.

22 Likes

Q. Cui bono

A. Vlad

24 Likes

Trumpists receive some transfer of Trump’s emotional characteristics …how they exhibit them vary.

One of them is: “I can get away with anything”.

37 Likes

Vlad the Prevailer…

14 Likes

Yeah. This is:

• A homicide investigation

• An internal affairs investigation

• A national security investigation

This should be conducted by some organization other than the Capitol Police

62 Likes

Rep. Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ) suggested that some of her Republican colleagues had participated in a “reconnaissance” allowing rioters into the building in groups a day before the Jan. 6 attack.

Quelle surprise!

Or more simply, the call is coming from inside the house!

27 Likes

There hadn’t been tours at the Capital building since March 2020. I bet you newer members (not mentioning names either) probably didn’t know that. It would seem clear that anyone getting a tour or seeming out of place would be noticed.
Cameras and other security would pick them up. This won’t take long but will we ever know the answer?

51 Likes

And they are primed for that because empirically they have and can. Not to beat a dead horse but just look at the difference in policing from last summer to the insurrection.

27 Likes

Yes, and if these particular traitors had their cel phones on, on the day before, January 5, the FBI will know where they will, probably also the Congresswomen and men who were with them. Will there be more than, say, four of them…is this one example of when the FBI said the public will be shocked at what they’ve found so far - is this one example?

Make them publicly testify in front of Congress and the world.

38 Likes

Lawrence had a couple of FBI-level LEOS on last night and the phrase “chompin’ at the bit with a New Biden Administration” kept popping up in my mind with those guys.

43 Likes

“Some of those who work forces …”

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available