Booker Rips GOP’s ‘Kabuki Theater’ On Debt Ceiling | Talking Points Memo

I guess his One Trick Pony show is old, even for R’s.

4 Likes

“We’re OK with the racism, immigrant bashing, homophobia, journalist dismembering, nepotism, corruption, Nazis, Russians, serial rapes, sexual assaults, babies locked in dog cages, daily firehose of lies, and attempted coup on January 6 – but criticizing Governor Kemp is just a bridge too far!”

37 Likes

I want to hear more Cory Booker and less Joe Manchin.

14 Likes

“Whiny toddlers” doesn’t begin to describe them. When will some Democrat say out loud, “This just shows what an asshole Mitch McConnell is, and what assholes those Republicans who take his direction are. They’re a party of assholes who care nothing about the country.”

4 Likes

ETA: FUCK the Republican party, they don’t care about the country, so why should we care about them

Amen brother.

3 Likes

Governing would be a lot easier without MTP.

3 Likes

Good one, I Gittes it.

2 Likes

As I said somewhere on TPM today …OK then Goobers, let’s let the USA default on our debts. Lets us see what happens. In a few days when the world’s economy has shattered with no way to repair it and our allies no longer our allies and China in the driver’s seat globally , maybe then the goobers will see the utter stupidity of what they have done. And then come the mid-term elections…
@pablointhegazebo… lemme fix this…

12 Likes

I’m concerned that their major funders haven’t reined them in on this stuff. Maybe Mitch and the others are on the phone saying don’t worry, we won’t let it happen. If the funders are so enraged about the prospect of higher taxes that they’re willing to tank the global economy and torch half their portfolios we’re pretty much through the looking glass.

13 Likes

Suggesting that a Black woman would do a better job than a white man was the bridge, I think.

14 Likes

Toomey is an odious sack.

4 Likes

Let’s start a movement or something.

The only entities to whom they owe an explanation are the corporate sponsors who made them rich, and will continue to do so. If it’s not already obvious, Manchin and Sinema really don’t care what their constituents want, just so the constituents are stupid enough to keep voting them into office where the venal senators can continue to stuff their pockets.

They are playing the game that leverages Senate power to make themselves millionaires. A head fake here, a disingenuous public comment there, a faux insistence on the superiority of bipartisanship, even when the other party has abandoned all pretense of governing. It’s perfectly legal, and there are zero consequences, especially if you have no conscience.

6 Likes

The debt ceiling doesn’t limit costs.

Its original purpose was to track the value of the Second Liberty Loan that financed America’s role in WWI.

Since Gingrich was Speaker, the GQP has used it as a cudgel any time a Democrat was president.

The law needs to changes so that the debt ceiling is always considered to be 20% higher than the accumulated national debt. That would end the problem.

6 Likes

Central bank independence is important. You have examples of politicians using the central bank as a personal piggy bank, or as in the case of Fiji, two important families fighting over the right to use the central bank as a piggy bank. This plays hell on the external value of the currency, which needs to be more than zero if a country wants to purchase imports. The Fed, in order to stabilize markets after the Great Recession of 2008 bought up lots of corporate bonds. This continued a larger trend begun by the Bank of Japan in 2001 after the dot-com bust known as quantitative easing. Unwinding this corporate debt is called quantitative tightening. Yellen suggested very toned-down QT and was canned. The punchbowl must not be removed!

Congress has forced this situation since the Reagan times by abandoning the tax part of its tax and spend authority. Denmark, in contrast, makes people pay their taxes, but also provides excellent public goods and services. The result is that the government debt of Denmark proportionally is about a third that of the US, which gives a good stable credit rating. A really old idea, invented by Americans, is actually in use in Denmark, the land value tax. The trick in making it palatable to the public, which sees it as fair, is to set a low and narrow range.

2 Likes

If Booker is truly “stunned” he needs to find another line of work.

They’re goobers. They don’t see nuthin!

“Kabuki theater”! Oh ZING!
With devastating zingers like that, it’s a wonder Booker isn’t President now.
eye roll emoji

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available