Biden Takes His Support For Labor One Step Further With WH Endorsement Of PRO Act | Talking Points Memo

A week after President Biden offered his support for a unionization effort by Amazon warehouse staffers in Alabama, the White House issued a statement endorsing the Protecting the Right to Organize Act. The pair of moves distinguish Biden among his recent predecessors of both parties in his outspoken support of the labor movement. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1363808
1 Like

[These] moves distinguish Biden among his recent predecessors of both parties in his outspoken support of the labor movement.

Rebuilding.

It’s about time.

26 Likes

Irony is this will probably help the MAGA base more than they could ever understand. Or want to.

29 Likes

Can’t wait to hear how they explain why something that directly helps them is bad for them.

I guess like anything GOP, the base will identify with business owners because they think someday they’ll be in the club. Might as well just suffer until that ever-receding day!

16 Likes

Fairly standardized by now. Jimmy Hoffa is just stealing your hard-earned money for dues, the company will benevolently provide you better pay and benefits than you would get through collective bargaining, and don’t ask what happened to Sheila, who tried to show up to work with union literature-- you won’t be seeing her again in this lifetime.

23 Likes

You get into something I have wanted to expand upon for quite some time. People have lamented on the malaise of the American electorate, pointing fingers at the alienated, the young, the unengaged.

I understand that and understand some of the surrounding aspects…but union activity is one type of human behavior which very quickly can touch on the political arena…and those possessing vested interests in understanding politics can be aged 18-45.

That certainly applied to me.

15 Likes

“…temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”

13 Likes

Your dues will go to fund political candidates you don’t support!

15 Likes

I’m a permanently embarrassed billionaire.

10 Likes

I think it was two years ago RTW was back on the ballot here in MO. We voted it down once before, and this time the unions put a lot of effort into going out and actively asking people to not for for it. The last time we voted it down we were more purple than we are now, and it was feared to be close, it wasn’t.
The vote in 2018 was because the MO lege had already passed it, the governor signed in 2017, and the unions got it on the ballot in 2018 as a veto referendum.

|Missouri Proposition A|
|Result|Votes|Percentage|
|Yes|453,283|32.53%|
|Defeated No|939,973|67.47%|

16 Likes

The same is true about Obamacare. I mean over 70% of those gaining healthcare for themselves and their families thanks to Obamacare are White people with a high school diploma or less living disproportionately in the South or as the media calls them “the base of the GOP”.

11 Likes

Taxing the wealthy is one thing and programs that provide benefits to the working and middle classes are another, but the real differences are made in changing the rules of the game. The gop with their model laws written by ALEC have known this forever.

Great to see our side catching on.

14 Likes

Well, when you think of all the taxes you’re avoiding … you can hold your head high with the best of them.

13 Likes

My dad was a strong Union supporter and referred to “right to work” laws as “right to exploit” laws. If reference to Jimmy Carter and then Bill Clinton he said there is no such thing as a Democrat from a right to work state. He voted for them but he wasn’t happy about it.

10 Likes

Unions may catch on in Alabama. What a hoot that would be. A blue Alabama?

21 Likes

The ACA. They managed.

14 Likes

Considering it’s Alabama, just need Obama to issue a statement opposing Unions, and it’ll be an absolute lock-in for a win.

4 Likes

Social analysts used to explain why Marxism did not succeed when Chuck Marx said it would in the West.

(1) Government started to enact legislation to protect workers
(2) The elite became more fragmented than Chuck anticipated
(3) The rising economic production helped more people
(4) Unions gained leverage in those societies

Now I am not going debate any of these points with anyone here (not with this average I.Q. :face_with_monocle:)…

BUT, I am noting that this line of thinking (suggested by Ralf Dahrendorf) includes unions as a benevolent organ for workers…a concept fairly well accepted.

…and apparently accepted by Joseph Biden

9 Likes

vzeJxqq

10 Likes

It is most certainly about time that we finally have another President who unabashedly supports Union Labor. Bravo Mr. President, Bravo!

In solidarity!

12 Likes