Biden Set To Pick Merrick Garland For Attorney General | Talking Points Memo

Joe Biden has selected Judge Merrick Garland to serve as his attorney general, according to multiple reports.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1352552

I was hoping for Yates, but this will work.

18 Likes

Judge Garland, I served with Matt “Big Toilets” Whitaker. I knew Matt “Big Toilets” Whitaker. Matt “Big Toilets” Whitaker was a friend of mine. Judge Garland, you’re no Matt “Big Toilets” Whitaker.

9 Likes

will work, however, the dc court is the second most important, rather would see him stay as chief judge on that court.

8 Likes

thank dog.

2 Likes

Again…not my fav…but I’m not against him.

I was hoping for someone who has more civil rights work in their background.

3 Likes

Biden is looking to restructure the judiciary. He’s going to make it younger and more diverse. Garland has political capital and a strong rep and can provide cover to any prosecutor he picks to handle Trump matters. This is sort of an 11 dimension chess move and I think it will work out well for Team Blue and Team America.

52 Likes

Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry. Be angry.

That will work. get a new job with a “to do” list that is very very long,
oh where to start. lol

2 Likes

Biden will get to appoint Garlands’ replacement on the D.C. Circuit court.

32 Likes

Is that a thrill that just went up my leg? Biden had so many great choices, but Garland would not have been possible without control of the senate. McConnell would never have allowed Biden to pick his replacement on the court.

22 Likes

It’s nice as a raised middle finger to Republicans, but surely there was a better choice.

4 Likes

Whitaker’s other middle name is “I Think Your Time is Up!”

2 Likes

I’m disappointed; it would be nice to have a non-centrist corporate face here. Oh well.

Does Garland have the temperament to do what needs to be done, following the unprecedented – and unpardonable – crime spree of the Trump administration?

I hope so.

29 Likes

I think Yates or Jones would be better received by the base (and honestly I’d probably prefer them just a little), but I’m sure Garland will be completely competent and law abiding. Plus we can fill his seat on the bench without issue now. I don’t need a ‘progressive statement’ with the AG role. They shouldn’t be political. It’s also a nice consolation for Garland to get a high profile role after having SCOTUS yanked away from him.

14 Likes

I’m dubious. We need a vigorous champion of individual and civil rights. Will Garland be the one? Generally, those who have a judicial–and judicial–temperament are not well suited to the full-throated advocacy that our next attorney general will need. I think either Doug Jones or Sally Yates would be more likely to have the qualities we need.

6 Likes

I had hoped for Doug Jones, but Garland is fine now that the Senate is 50-50.

1 Like

We’ll see. But he did prosecute McVeigh, so at a minimum he understands the far-right terrorism threat.

17 Likes

So you’re saying you suspect the timing of this announcement may not have been entirely a coincidence?

:smile:

11 Likes