Biden Names Vivek Murthy, David Kessler To COVID Working Group | Talking Points Memo

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — President-elect Joe Biden signaled on Sunday he plans to move quickly to build out his government, focusing first on the raging pandemic that will likely dominate the early days of his administration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1343634
2 Likes

I like it a lot. A covid task force that presumably considers its task is to fight the damn virus.

26 Likes

Stand back, children.

The adults are in town and they intend to get shit done.

19 Likes

Biden named a former surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, and a former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, David Kessler, as co-chairs of a coronavirus working group

Both good choices. Qualified and experienced.

7 Likes

So no Kushner and his team of interns to plan things?

11 Likes

Logistics? Logistics? What’s a Logistic?

The mention of David Kessler immediately got my attention. A real straight shooter - smart, and not one to be pushed around. Superb choice. Maybe after the task force, he can brought back into government.

11 Likes

I will have to see it to believe it, but after Comey, an out and out Republican foisted Trump on us in 2016 I would be shocked and disappointed at the Biden administration appointing any Republicans.

Appoint experts. Appoint people who are excellent at the job. But they better not be Republicans. It wasn’t a huge step for a Republican to disavow Donald Trump. It was the bare minimum required for common decency. The kind of behavior you’d teach a 4 year old. They don’t deserve a reward for that.

9 Likes

He’d do it if asked, but would point to people just as qualified and somewhat younger.

1 Like

What a concept! I wonder why no one in charge thought of that before?

9 Likes

But…but…wait! Didn’t he name anyone to just be a butt-kisser? Will they start each meeting with a round-robin of “why we are so blessed to work with this President, the smartest, best looking, most geniusest person ever to live?” Will they only consider medications from companies that Joe owns an interest in? What’s up with this? It’s like they wanted to solve the problem rather than just posture.

9 Likes

Hey! Take that back!! He’s only a year older than I am. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a friggin’ outrage, I tells ya’.

7 Likes

Amazing how this Biden guy thinks a leader ought to lead. Wazzup wid’ dat? :man_shrugging:t5:

13 Likes

Please name Dr. Fauci. He deserves to be on a winning team for a change.

8 Likes

You’re in shock. We all are.

It will fade, slowly.

6 Likes

He will be in ten weeks. In the meantime, let’s let him lay low and do his job. We need a steady hand on vaccine duty. And it’s a moot point now whether a resignation and a ringing denunciation would have helped matters any.

16 Likes

I’ll bet they just ignore the all-important “PR happy talk” angle. Clearly a dereliction of duty.

6 Likes

One way to get good PR is to actually make progress toward solving the problem. Quaint, I know, but I’m a traditionalist.

17 Likes

Both good choices. Qualified and experienced.

Do you think they might have a plan too? Wow! Haven’t seen one in four years.

7 Likes