Biden Expected To Reject Trump’s Last-Minute Lift On COVID-19 Travel Bans | Talking Points Memo

President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration rejected an effort by President Trump on Monday to lift bans on travel from Europe, the U.K. and Brazil amid a coronavirus pandemic that has come close to killing 400,000 people as Trump prepares to leave office.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355216

It’s awesome to see someone finally be able to block Trumps dumbassness

20 Likes

I’m so relieved that soon adults will be in charge.

16 Likes

I’m just (still) reveling-- over not being deluged in ignorant responses tweeted by a vindictive jackass.

23 Likes

The last four years will be immediately forgotten by Republicans - just like with W. The pandemic will have started under Biden … I’d give it a month before we hear it.

22 Likes

Less than 28 hrs. and counting…

12 Likes

So I have to wonder - most of the travel ban affects places only accessible by plane. Knowing that the airlines are really hurting financially with this ban, is it possible they might open reservations up for international travel in the face of the lifting of the ban for what may amount to 24 hours?

Here’s the thing: one of my colleagues at Target is Canadian (bilingual French-English). I found out last night that she’s away for a month, visiting family in Canada. I’m kinda wondering how she pulled that off, given that the border is supposed to be closed?

5 Likes

No, under Obama. And Biden isn’t doing anything about it, look at all the deaths on his watch!!! 500,000!!! Impeach, impeach, impeach…!!!

[/s]

6 Likes

Truth is-- W was just a useful idiot.
Rs got all they wanted and more from this ‘harmful idiot’.

7 Likes

The travel ban gambit is such an easy fix that it seems like trolling on the part of the Trump admin. could have created a much messier situation with travel. I can’t imagine that much of his base is excited over lifting this ban anyway, so it’s just one more thing that he’ll have to sign on Wednesday.
It makes me wonder what they’re painting on the walls of the Oval Office. And with what.

4 Likes

mutombo

2 Likes

Not all of his supporters, but many have never left the town they were born in. So going to France isn’t even on their bucket list.

Trust me - I know one who bought her parents’ house when they both passed. It was the house she was raised in. So she has virtually never lived anywhere else in her life than where she was born.

8 Likes

Sounds like my mom (who probably would not have been a trumper, though).

1 Like

My understanding, from what family members in Canada have said, is that she could enter the country as long as she agreed to self-quarantine for the first 14 days. Assuming she remained COVID-free, she could move around freely after that. I don’t know if she would be required to self-quarantine again upon re-entering the USA.

5 Likes

An appropriate Newhart ending redux is called for.

2 Likes

Most likely, she flew in.

The land crossings are closed to casual travel. But people can fly to a Canadian destination provided they self-isolate for two weeks. Her 4 week itinerary suggests she may have followed the rules or chose such a duration to appear to have done so.

Still, infection rates in Canada are far below nearly every inch of the US.

7 Likes

Trump’s biological ware against us continues.

1 Like

“Trump was right about China…” is how it will begin.

1 Like

It’s what happens, I suppose, when adults and science are in charge.

I read that now with Biden in charge, Fauci is expecting we will be able to sing in church by the Fall. Works for me, as a lifetime choir member and church musician. It’s eerie with the church I watch live in CT that all they can do with the hymns is hum. Hasn’t been singing in church for nearly a year.

9 Likes

We have at least three major new Covid-19 variants in the world that formed in the UK, South Africa and California. All variants are apparently associated with significantly higher infection rates. They suspect that the South African variant might be more resistant to the currently available vaccines due to a change in shape of the spike proteins. And some ignorant asshole wants to open us up for air travel so we can spread it even faster?

Damn. Get Mr. Mustard in the Oval Office with a Tire Iron, stat!

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available