Biden Comes Out Swinging With Flood Of Actions Reshaping Fed Role In COVID Response | Talking Points Memo

The Biden administration came out swinging in the early hours of the new President’s tenure with a flood of executive orders and other actions focused on confronting the pandemic.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355821
1 Like

A good start, hopefully he keeps it up, but does not forget about the past.

3 Likes

Hey, look! A plan. And we didn’t have to wait two weeks to see it!

36 Likes

A new beginning

12 Likes

You’re burying the lede, TPM.

What did Biden tweet last night? Which cable news show is he watching in the Residence and ranting at right now? Which staff members have he already fired via social media? Has the ShamWow Guy met with him yet to discuss his plans for martial law?

Are you telling me NONE of that happened over the last 12 hours?

41 Likes

Sorta OT, but not really:
Every time I woke up last night my first thought was, “Biden is President now. Trump is gone”, and I went back to sleep, leaving my phone sleeping sweetly on the nightstand.

26 Likes

And it’s a good thing they have one because, as we all knew, the previous administration didn’t have jack shit

“There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch,” one source said.

20 Likes

It’s heartening to have a president who hangs FDR’s portrait on his wall, instead of letting it gather dust at the back of the closet it’s been in since Ronnie took office.
And, it’s equally reassuring that he’s willing to take the New Deal as a source of lessons learned and not shame.

22 Likes

For my money, yes, there was no plan (quelle surprise) but there are no Gordian knots to undo either. The folks Biden has working on this already know what to do and they’re working with a clean slate. Much easier to put this together into something workable.

Now the question is, is there any vaccine left from the approved sources to be bought by the government? Now that we know there is no reserve left. We really are starting from zero. This will complicate the 100 million in 100 days.

I still say we should train Amazon Prime workers to deliver the vaccine - they’ll have it done in a week.

21 Likes
27 Likes

But when does ‘Infrastructure Week’ start…?:slight_smile:

5 Likes
41 Likes

So this should be Indictment day, by my calendar. Should we take bets on when they actually get handed down?

Hubby wonders if there will be the appetite to go after the guy. Told him NY has been waiting for this day for at least two years.

21 Likes

This is going to be fun. A president who actually does stuff instead of merely calling Fox and Friends and tweeting from his golden throne/toilet.

I had a good night’s sleep last night for the first time in 4 years. This is going to be bad for the late night talk show hosts who have been America’s court jesters.

18 Likes

State and local charges have been in the works for a while: in NYS, I gotta suppose we’re either waiting on the grand jury or process server.
I’d also guess that federal charges are gonna wait until we have a new AG, some house cleaning at DOJ and the time to do investigatitions and present the results to a grand jury.

12 Likes

Greta, you burn sickly like few others! :joy: :kissing_closed_eyes:

19 Likes

Just saw on TV Amazon is working with the Biden administration on this very thing.

11 Likes

And (c’mon Mr. Rainbow, how could you leave this out?) restored DACA protections with the stroke of his pen for hundreds of thousands of productive & dedicated young people who have lived in mortal fear for their futures under the demonic reign of Trump & Miller.

Sen. Durbin’s powerful statement on the floor yesterday celebrating the restoration of DACA & promising a renewed push for the DREAM Act.

13 Likes

The chyron on ABC is chock full of things he’s getting done. It’s like having a President again.

18 Likes

It’s not hard top figure out what’s different here. Competence and giving a shit. This is how government works when the governed ( what wingnuts call we the people ) are it’s focus and not its God king.

22 Likes