Biden Calls Graham A ‘Personal Disappointment’ After Years Of Friendship | Talking Points Memo

President-elect Joe Biden on Thursday called Sen. Lindsey Graham a “personal disappointment” after the South Carolina lawmaker, once a personal friend to Biden, has totally acquiesced to President Trump and backing the President’s efforts to undermine the will of the American people by seeking to overturn election results in several key battleground states.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1350101
2 Likes

Joe needs to get a copy of those pictures.

14 Likes

If this admin gets stuck in the mud there will be only Biden to blame.

8 Likes

Joe Biden retains a statesmanlike and diplomatic manner, even when describing being knifed in the back by someone he felt close to.

“A personal disappointment” is not the choice of words I would have used if put in that same situation.

36 Likes

OK…I’m putting money down right now that Lindsey will be whining about ‘how this administration thinks we can WORK together after saying something like THAT?’…

16 Likes

As soon as President Biden is in power Silly Putty Lindsey will once again demonstrate his shape shifting power.

18 Likes

I get a little queasy realizing how wrong Biden was about Graham. If he has similar ideas about the rest of the Republican senate (and he does), then we are just in for 4 years of Biden being “personally disappointed” and while the country drowns in unemployment, war and bigotry.

6 Likes

personal disappointment

My trusty Universal Translator says that on some planets in some contexts can mean “fucker”.

30 Likes

Lindsay Graham does seem to love a strong man. What in the world does Putin have on him?

4 Likes

Miz Lindsey seems to really, really love humiliation, so I’m not sure this will have the intended effect.

But it had to be sado.

5 Likes

I would have gone with “national embarrassment,” but I can appreciate Biden limiting his comment to a one-on-one experience.

14 Likes

10 Likes

I’m personally more disappointed in South Carolina this year by re-electing Graham and all the false hope that the polls gave to Jaime Harrison making it look like they were tied.

Also, Biden isn’t naive about bi-partisanship. He personally saw how the GOP did everything to obstruct Obama. He has a better grasp of what can be reasonably accomplished.

32 Likes

Yeah - you got ahold of the right translation.

He won’t say one good thing about Trump either. And Colbert asked him to.

21 Likes

I think that’s accurate, but it’s hard to square what Biden personally saw during the Obama administration with his statement that “Once this president is no longer in office I think you’re going to see his impact on the body politic fade." The GOP needs the votes from the Trump cult so his impact is not going to fade from the GOP political calculus.

3 Likes

But, in its own way, Joe’s statement is so much more stinging than the words you or I would have used.

29 Likes

Biden’s opinion of Graham can change with Ossoff and Warnock winning. Graham may be the most cowardly person in the Senate.

He’d still be a “disappointment”…but he would be a “cowardly-disappointment-in-a-weaker-position”

14 Likes

Of course you have no way of knowing if this is true, and it is the foundation for the rest of your argument.

12 Likes

Funny. You probably blamed Democrats for anything trump did as well.

16 Likes

Well Biden could be right. He isn’t black, so he has that going for him. He spent what 40 years in the Senate?

Can we get Trump out of there before we decide how Biden is going to handle things? I know what he says. He believes the people are tired of the fight and I don’t think he is wrong. The people who want to fight are the crazies and they are a minority. I’m not wild about the appeasement talk either, but it’s just talk right now.

29 Likes