Barrett Casts First Known Vote As SCOTUS Blocks NY COVID Limits On Houses Of Worship | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON (AP) — As coronavirus cases surge again nationwide the Supreme Court late Wednesday barred New York from enforcing certain limits on attendance at churches and synagogues in areas designated as hard hit by the virus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1346561
1 Like

Forgive them, Lord. They know not what they do. Coz they don’t know jack about epidemiology.

77 Likes

Sadly, not surprising at all…

20 Likes

Welcome to the 17th century.

62 Likes

In a statement, COVID-19 thanked the Supreme Court for allowing it to roam freely and infect even more people than it already has. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/us/supreme-court-coronavirus-religion-new-york.html

61 Likes

So the rights of the non-religious people they will infect mean nothing? The first amendment is now a suicide-murder pact?

84 Likes

Same as it ever was.

44 Likes

Churches are all about the money, not devotion. Unless parishioners have tithes automatically deposited from their paychecks into the church coffers, people don’t normally give unless they are physically there. Catholic church is especially in debt because of all the lawsuits.

23 Likes

Clearly you misunderstand “freedom of religion.” What it really means is “freedom for my religion - fuck everyone else.”

43 Likes

I’ve always thought that churches or other places of worship should abide by the restrictions, and just hold more services. Why was this not a thing?

22 Likes

Horrible decision. Expect lots more of these in the years to come. Just awful for all of us that are trying to protect ourselves. Our rights under this new rightwing SCOTUS don’t mean shit.

Oh, btw, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

47 Likes

Can’t own the libs and Dr. Fauci that way.

16 Likes

Roberts is now one of the “liberal” justices?? The Overton Window has slid clean off the track and lies broken on the patio.

55 Likes

Wife Barrett comes through.

I’m going to declare myself a religion so I can do whatever I want, and not pay taxes.

33 Likes
42 Likes

Next up: “I don’t have to wear a mask as it violates my religious beliefs. God will act as a shield in front of my mouth to protect all from infection.”

23 Likes

Maybe. But I think it’s about old men with diminishing sperm counts holding power over others.

26 Likes

I have to defend the decision. Doesn’t anyone remember Horton Hears A Who? God cannot year your prayers unless enough people gather in one spot and make their wishes together.

7 Likes

CORONA VIRUS APPROVES THIS DECISION !

28 Likes

Dear Supreme Court:
People do not (normally) sing in grocery stores. Singing is a great way to propel virus-laden particulates. See Washington State, early on.
Also a local-to-me Conservative Mennonite church, where people died after removing their masks to sing.
And full disclosure–I love to sing. I’m a Mennonite (of the crunchy-granola, SJW sub-species) and we do 4-part acapella singing like no one else on Earth, except maybe the Welsh. And I’m also part of a local Sacred Harp group.
We have not met-either church or Sacred Harp–since February. I miss it desperately. I know how much better I would feel if I could sing.
Well, I can’t.
And these bloody selfish people shouldn’t be meeting either.

I had a major sad yesterday when I realized my congregation’s annual Messiah sing wasn’t going to happen this year, either.

67 Likes