At This Trump-Favored Charity, Financial Reporting Is Questionable and Insiders Are Cashing In | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1321575
1 Like

Grifters, all the way down.

10 Likes

Take notes, create a list, and when we get a real Attorney General, launch serious investigations. Let’s not consider this a simple matter of “white color” crime, but let’s get serious and put anyone who breaks the law behind bars. Seriously. Game over.

4 Likes

What the Trump administration is exposing is the fact that charities in the U.S. are very poorly regulated. The assumption is that, if it’s a charity, it must be doing good so the finances of most charities have very little government oversight. The inevitable result of such poor regulation is that, if you wish to operate a money laundering organization, what better way to do it than to front it with a charity.

6 Likes

Another false wunderkind like Shapiro…nothing but a grifter with a talent for the conman’s argle bargle.

7 Likes

And inspiration for Brad Parscale, now that he has unexpected free time on his hands, and lots of bigly monthly payments for his toys.

6 Likes

The IRS needs its funding boosted and investigative power increased to go after institutions like this and the wealthy who are underpaying (or not bother to pay) their taxes. We need a new campaign finance law that makes all campaign financing, of any institution, publicly visible. There is just too much dark money from wealthy interests (mainly conservative) flowing around, and it’s damaging our democracy.

8 Likes

“As the number of self-interested transactions go up,” he said, “the potential goes up for the possibility that the organization is being operated for the private interests of those who control the organization.”

To which the Turning Point spokesperson responded, “So? What’s wrong with that?”

5 Likes

Stapleton is an auditing firm that doesn’t pay attention to details. Yeserie that says a lot about why I’d want to hire them.

5 Likes

The investigation will begin in 2021. I suspect Charlie will be arrested some time in 2021 as well.

2 Likes

With Trump and his cronies, charity ALWAYS starts at home - and never ventures out. It beats working for a living if you are not troubled with a conscience.

4 Likes

Anyone who didn’t already know that Charlie Kirk is a grifter has been in a coma for several years.

2 Likes

Trump :" Charlie is some piece of work".

My God, Trump made a truthful and accurate statement! I’m going to sit down due to shock!

4 Likes

Surely you don’t expect otherwise. Shirley is not surprised as she expects this from these types.

1 Like

Trump wishes that Eric is as good at his charitable grift as Charlie

2 Likes

hear, hear!

3 Likes

I got only halfway through the article before I reached the stomach-Turning Point.

1 Like

Or, “Well, why else would I do it?”

2 Likes