Appeals Court Revives Emoluments Case Against Trump | Talking Points Memo

A little-watched lawsuit filed by competitors of Donald Trump’s businesses was revived by a Manhattan federal appeals court on Friday, potentially opening another window into the President’s — and his business’s — financial records.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1248305
1 Like

Keep up the pressure.

Everywhere.

21 Likes

So we’re off to the Supreme Court, where the Fab Five can declare that the emoluments clause of the Constitution is in fact unconstitutional because it infringes on the sanctity of free market capitalism.

25 Likes

But the lead-up to it will be as drastically full of Trump derp as can be

7 Likes

Keep putting fat on the fire! Yes!

8 Likes

I think you meant, keep putting fire to the fat (one).

4 Likes

But perhaps they won’t. They might find that Trump is indeed in violation of the Constitution. But then what? Will Barr call him a naughty boy? The recourse is always impeachment.

20 Likes

“Appears to have opened a door”. “Could spell problems for Trump”. “Possibly mighta, coulda, seems to have violated Emoluments Clause”. The god damn truth is, Trump is running roughshod over the law, democracy and the Constitution, and not one friggin’ thing is being done about it. Any Democrat who did one tenth of the illegal shit hanging around Trump’s neck would be impeached before the end of this sentence.

14 Likes

Maybe if pundits started calling it the bribes and kickbacks clause more people might start to get the picture. Every time I hear it being discussed on TV or in a podcast, half the people talking make it sound like some arcane thing that only relates to the 18th century.

23 Likes

They should.

And courts are not immune from the people around them,

6 Likes

They may find that; “Yes, Trump violated the law and the emoluments clause, BUT since he is a sitting President, he CANNOT be indicted by the Courts for it. The Constitution clearly states that it is the sole purview of the Congress to Impeach a Sitting President. It is not the Courts place to indict.”
Q.E.D.
In other words: “Sure he did it. So What? Not our problem.”

5 Likes

You have to believe that if Trump is grifting off the military with his Turdberry resort, he’s doing some profiting off his market manipulations. One way or the other.
I read Greg Sargent today where he brought up this ad when mentioning that if Biden survives the primary, he can expect something like this from the Trump camp.

(Hillary’s too sick to lead our country ad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6FUt8DVCug

6 Likes

“… government officials will choose Trump hotels and restaurants in the hope that spending their dollars at Trump establishments will influence the President"

They get a Trump Hotel Rewards Card and rack up points.

8 Likes

I thought they would just hand Mulvaney their receipts from Trump properties so he could add them up and determine the amount of the quid pro quo?

7 Likes

Until this decision it appears the courts created a convenient Catch-22. No businesses could claim standing based on their losses, nor could Congress, but without standing nobody could pursue Trump in court for his clear emoluments violations.

Impeach him already.

8 Likes

Courts to the left of him, Congress to the right, Stuck in the middle, You Fat Fool!

4 Likes

Ironically, this could all have been made moot by a little foresight from Ryan and McConnell. A short sentence hidden in some random bill somewhere could have authorized all the graft trump wanted.

3 Likes

After Pence’s stay at Trump’s property in Doonbeg and the AF staying over 40 times at his property in Scotland, it’s just a shame we can’t allow businesses in Ireland and Scotland to join in as well.

It’s an outrageous level of corruption. And also sends a clear message to foreign nations and entities what they need to do to curry favor with this Administration.

15 Likes

Yep. Emoluments sounds like something marketed by Jergens.

8 Likes

If I had to wager, my money would be on John Roberts deciding that he doesn’t want to get involved in covering for open corruption. He actually does have some level of concern for the Court’s reputation.

10 Likes