Appeals Court Leaves Key Case Hanging For Seven Years

Worse than that, they will have to rule in favor of a sex offender. In Alabama. It’s just cowardice.

3 Likes

iDJiT must have been involved, right?

“Judges” and “ethics” Lolololololol

Speaking of justice denied…

11 Likes

I sincerely hope that this sort of BS does not happen with the DoJ appeal concerning Judge Cannon’s absurdly biased conduct in the trump case. To have a judge give the decisions so extremely one sided as she has done in the trump case reflects on her and her court not to mention that she is fooling around with extremely serious national security issues she should never ever be involved in.

3 Likes

Great reporting. How about a GoFundMe to raise money for publicity. The country needs know.

1 Like

Imagine the TV ads: Grainy black and white photos (maybe tinted red.) Newspaper clippings. Pictures of children. Worried mothers. Ominous music. “Judge Ripple is soft on sex offenders! Call 111-222-3333 and demand an explanation!”

2 Likes

It will not happen. That panel moved with alacrity on the emergency stay motion.

5 Likes

Trump opposes expedited appeal but that was a given.

4 Likes

Certainly seems to be the Occam’s Razor explanation.

5 Likes

Still waiting almost 5 years for a federal judge to rule that Trump’s attack on our Utah national monuments was illegal. It was a blatant violation of the plain language of the Federal Land Management and Policy Act of 1976. Ought to be a no-brainer. Failure to get a decision on this leaves the door open for more such violations.

10 Likes

Most likely explanation is that they cannot manage to come up with a legal standard that allows them to affirm the trial court’s ruling that the statute was unconstitutional as applied to this plaintiff while not also imperiling sex offender registries/restrictions more generally.

10 Likes

The thing that’s most worrisome here is that the 11th Circuit panel is clearly terrified to overturn what is a fundamentally fascist law.

One thing about fascist regimes is that they’re Tough on Crime. Sure, they imprison and execute a lot of people for political crimes, or just dispense with any form of process and just disappear them. But regular street criminals with no Party connections are treated with the same casual disregard for life and liberty that marks the regime’s approach to everything. The death penalty gets greatly expanded and is enthusiastically applied for a wide range of crimes. Those who don’t get their heads chopped off (literally in the Nazis case-they adopted the guillotine for criminal cases) get long, brutal sentences.

The moral cowardice that seems to be driving this delay, cowardice that may be hiding behind self-delusion that if the opinion is just detailed and scholarly enough, there won’t be any hysterical GQP politicians demanding their heads, bodes ill for the capacity of the judiciary to deal with the rising tide of fascism generally.

And, yeah, a lot of the problem here may be that they’re hoping to find a way to rule narrowly enough to avoid having apply as precedent to the vast array of less draconian, and widely supported and popular, post-conviction sex offender liberty deprivation laws nationwide.

Hell, I’m not even against imposing burdensome conditions on most real sex offenders post release. (By “real” I mean "not including purely technical convictions, e.g. people arrested for indecent exposure because they were stone drunk and took a pee in an ally or women who wore a thong bikini in Myrtle Beach.) But this law is basically just a state effort to drive them to suicide.

15 Likes

Lifetime appointment and you don’t have to do anything? This sounds like my dream job.

5 Likes

The court of appeals shouldn’t need seven years, or five years, or two years.

It does if it’s broken… too.

1 Like

More evidence that the courts are broken and need serious reform: sub-SCOTUS Edition.

1 Like

And drop off all the new Russian defectors in the Maralago parking lot while I’m at it.

1 Like

Just curious: what was the specific residency restriction that kept McGuire from living with his spouse?

1 Like

I don’t know any specifics of this case, but generally proximity to schools seems like a safe bet. Even if the offenders don’t have a record targeting children, it seems like it’s common for registered offenders to have to live far from schools (just in case, apparently).

1 Like

Of course it doesn’t matter apparently that national security, which sometimes requires something be done in a less than “deliberative process”, is deep in this mix. Trump must have his delay to figure out how to get his thumb out of his ass.

At some point someone with authority over Judge Cannon ( if someone like that even exists) needs to ream her out face to face. I realize she has a lifetime appointment but does that give her the right to damage national security if she is so moved? The bias judge Cabbon exhibits is astounding.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available