‘An Act Of Pure Cowardice’: Cheney Ouster Draws Dismay From GOPers And Dems

Rep. Liz Cheney’s (R-WY) removal as House Republican Conference Chair on Wednesday has lawmakers, including some of her GOP colleagues, worrying about the grim implications of the party punishing one of its leaders for acknowledging the indisputable fact that Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1373749
1 Like

Cheney dared oppose the HCUA (House Committee on Un-Republican Activities) and it’s leader Sen… eh, Congressman McCarthy.

16 Likes

Today’s Republican Party must end. It must be replaced. The cancer of liars, racists, thieves and authoritarianism must go. Our democracy is at stake.

24 Likes

Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO) told TPM reporter Tierney Sneed and other journalists outside the House chamber that he had voted to save Cheney, saying that she was being “canceled” by the conference (an incredibly rare instance of a Republican complaining about canceling outside the context of Dr. Seuss or other meaningless culture war grievances).

“Liz didn’t agree with President Trump’s narrative, and she was canceled,” Buck said. “We have to deal with this narrative at some point.”

Bear in mind, though, that Rep. Buck is an adherent of Orwell’s Doublethink, as exposed by Josh in his “Real Story” piece earlier today:

Here’s how Rep. Ken Buck, who supported Cheney and opposed her ouster put it. “I would say it was probably three quarters-one quarters. I mean, it’s obviously a voice vote, so some people screamed louder than others.”

And why no recorded vote? Again he captures it: “I think think people want to move on, frankly.”

11 Likes

The GQP, driving ever faster towards the cliff. I can’t wait to see their faces when they reach the edge.

16 Likes

of their flat earth…

13 Likes

Next up: the GOP push to prove that 2+2=5.

11 Likes

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) praised Cheney as “a leader of great courage, patriotism and integrity.”

This is an example of Nancy whitewashing Liz Cheney. Cheney’s a heel. But the bigger issue is the GOP are in a purity spiral. There was a way to call out what Cheney had done without whiteknighting for her.

2 Likes

I disagree with all of Cheney’s policy positions. But Nancy isn’t wrong about what she did.

19 Likes

1 Like

What I want to know is how the pundits and prognosticators think these crazy people are going to increase their number in 2022 – gerrymandered districts or not. I mean, voters know this is all crazytown theatre. I can’t believe Republicans are not screwing themselves to the wall with this stuff. Especially in the all important suburbs.

12 Likes

That is an example of Speaker Pelosi knowing how to make the Qrazy Qaucus get Qrazier.

It’s good politics, and excellent shade throwing.

31 Likes

"{T]he price of admission in today’s Republican Party is silence in the face of provable lies.” It’s so much worse than that. The price of admission is an all-in commitment to demolishing legitimate constitutional and democratic government in favor of an authoritarian white nationalist one-party regime. Silence in the face of provable lies is no more than a tactic towards that goal.

It’s not clear to me whether leading Ds such as Schumer simply fail to see this, which would be very discouraging, or just think it’s too explosive to say out loud.

5 Likes

Well Jim Jordan confirms that speaking the truth is repeating a Democratic talking point.

15 Likes

I think Nancy drove a wedge between the Crazy Caucus and the remaining sane Republicans. Good move Nancy.

18 Likes

Gym Jordan wouldn’t know the truth even if it snapped him with a towel in a locker room.

11 Likes

But Liz Chaney remains in the House, and no doubt will continue to speak out and be in the news. So it’s difficult to see an upside for the Repubs.

Put another way, she will persist.

16 Likes

This is an example of Nancy driving the wedge in deeper.

Oops - I see @ronbyers beat me to it.

12 Likes

Me? I much rather see this kind of performance on the House floor, rather than the Comedic Kabuki of the GQP.

7 Likes

I prefer to think of it more like a wedgie…

YMMV

11 Likes