500 Error - Again & Again

Seems like the comments software is really glitching today... I keep getting the dreaded 500 error and others have commented on it in various threads.

2 Likes

This happens on news-busy days like today (Cohen, Manafort).

2 Likes

Me too, and I really wish they would spend some money to resolve the issues before another membership drive. This has been going on for a year or more it seems...

3 Likes

Ya gotta love a site that's consistent. At least it's fail-friendly. For instance when it fails to post your comment it doesn't lose it and you just click again.

4 Likes

I'm dealing with this on a site that I am working on. 500 errors are notoriously hard to to troubleshoot, in part because it is a very generic message from the server. It could be anything from a bad piece of code to an incorrect server setting. Though I don't THINK it means that the server is about to take over and push us all out of the airlock!

5 Likes

In this case it does appear to be traffic related, most of the time I see a bad gateway message of some sort, I would bet it is related to a timeout of some sort...

3 Likes

And CNN seems to be having similar problems!

2 Likes

Not exactly a great day to post about a Prime membersip drive.

3 Likes

:frowning:
Server Error
while trying to load /latest.json
Error code: 502 Bad Gateway

2 Likes

Sorry, we couldn't load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

1 Like

Probably gonna get flagged for this, but it's the silliest thing I've done all week and I'm feeling giddy.

Yeah yeah yeah...

But at least there's this...

======
~OGD~

1 Like

Best thing to do is contact the site staff about it directly. If they hear from enough of us, they’ll realize there’s a problem. Silence is not always golden.

siteissues@talkingpointsmemo.com

1 Like

I've been getting 500/502/503...cant load the page. I think it is the busy news day coupled with a major change to the page design...all in all not too bad considering

3 Likes

502 Bad Gateway errors most of the time, even when I just try to hit Like. Commenting is near impossible (we will see if this one slips through).

1 Like

Can't open or post comments to this:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/democrats-gather-to-confront-lingering-2016-frustrations

The site is becoming more and more painful to navigate daily.

Upon clicking a topic I usually get this.....

Sorry, we couldn't load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

or an Oops error

When I click under my avatar and try to read someone's response to me I get take to the lead post of a topic. I then must return to the link below my avatar and try again. Sometimes I am taken to the person's response to me....sometimes i get an "Oops", a 502 bad gateway or the 'Sorry...."
message.

This has been going on for a few weeks now and it's only getting worse. Trying to navigate TPM is time consuming and annoying.

3 Likes

If I have to use the Try Again button I hit "page down" or "end" to force the callup to the last post. It's not enough server bandwidth for the custom forum software, I'd say.

2 Likes

I just copied my post and forwarded it.

Now off to the garden to escape ....

Hey guys! We have gotten a few emails from readers about this and our developers are aware that today has been particularly bad. We're working on it! :smile:

1 Like