5 Points On Why Pennsylvania Could Become An Election Flashpoint | Talking Points Memo

The interstate compact idea is a good one. It’s a good beginning to a constitutional amendment.
It’s how women got the vote. It went state by state until there were enough states that it tipped the balance and we got the Amendment.

2 Likes

This is why local elections matter. These Trumpified state legislators need to be defeated. I’ve been phone banking into two PA legislative districts that are flippable.

4 Likes

Ending the electoral college will address the big issue in voting by ensuring that every vote, no matter where cast, counts equally, but it won’t mean that Republicans become less litigious with respect to national elections. It just means they’ll be trying to disqualify every Democratic vote in every state if the electoral margin is slim. That would be a boon for lawyers in Wyoming and Alabama, in addition to continuing to provide work for PA, WI and MI lawyers.

That’s because its Kentucky in the middle :grin:

4 Likes

Let them try, my vote deserves to be counted

1 Like

Its why they need Barrett. 5-4 is too close for comfort.

Hey! I live in that middle.

1 Like

Yea, it is good stop gap measure. My vote in TX counted only once in 1976 for Carter, other wise it has been 44 years since it counted. I take it yours like wise.

As a PA resident here is my perspective:

All but the dullest knives in the draw know where to vote, and have now seen the ‘naked ballot’ issue discussed to death (this discussion is a good thing). My most fervent hope that the dullest knives are all in the GOP, so I am not worried about these first two items.

As far as fixing a ballot error, that would be great if it could happen, sometimes everyone makes a mistake, but again I am not too worried about this, AS LONG as it is handled fairly. My first thought when I heard about the 9 PA ballots with seven tossed (for Trump) and two resealed was that the 7 for Trump were contacted and told to resubmit because there was some problem. The 2 resealed were Biden votes so the voters were not notified there was any issue with their ballot. PA does have a site where you can check ballot status, but up to now I have not seen what the various statuses posted can be.

I believe attempting to stop the count is inevitable. That’s why Trump needs Barrett on the court.

Fear mongering is also inevitable, why else would the be getting so many ‘pole watchers’ lined up. There will be voter intimidation on election day, I am sure that attempting to cast a provisional ballot in a Democratic leaning district will be a horror show for the voter.

My other worry, which is not mentioned as to do with the ‘ballot collection’ boxes. I am lucky enough to have one going in my township offices, and plan to use it. But the idea that it is under 24 hour surveillance, which is a good thing, has me somewhat concerned. I assume there will be an army of watchers checking the surveillance feed, and should anyone be seen depositing more than one ballot will almost certainly be observed. No one has said a word about what would happen in that case, but my gut tells me that in any Democratic leaning district there will be a push to get all the ballots from any affected box discounted.

Hence, PennsylTucky, the name I was taught (by co-workers!) when I started working for the Commonwealth!
I think though, that the Kentucky part is shrinking.
I still live where I grew up. (Chester County) And it was a pure R stronghold, ruled like a fiefdom. Now, all the County row offices, and the County Council majority, are held by Democrats.

3 Likes

In presidential races but we turned Dallas Co. blue in '06 and we’ve been extending that blue island ever since and locking it down too. They want it back bad. They ain’t getting it. We are just destined to keep going blue in the state. We are very close to capturing the majority in the Texas leg.

6 Likes

Are they all working pro bono? Do they know they’re working pro bono?

1 Like

Demographics waterfall.

2 Likes

Many states permit a family member or even a campaign worker to deliver completed sealed ballots for others.

Pennsylvania is almost a must win for Trump. But Biden can get to 270 without it by winning Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona, and either of the Nebraska 2 or Maine 2 EV. It would be exactly 270, but it is a win without having to rely on Pennsylvania, Florida, NC, GA, or Ohio. My hopes are by the time CA closes we are just waiting for Arizona to confirm the win.

2 Likes

Yeah that has made a big difference alright. Immigration from just about anywhere is only good for this state.

3 Likes

I phoned my PA state senator to ask about the trump campaign’s discussions with legislative leaders with respect to awarding electors to trump should the election be contested. Her response was not encouraging. She denied any such discussions took place (I think she lied) and she linked to an article about the 9 mishandled votes. Said she was concerned about it. She’s in the bag for whatever trump et al have planned.

2 Likes

There’s nothing they can legitimately do that won’t get a tsunami of pushback. We have just as many if not more lawyers than he has and I am willing to bet real money ours are better lawyers too.

1 Like

So Barr’s phony histrionics the other day about the nine Trump ballots in the dumpster was an advance tactic to plant the idea in the public mind that Pennsylvania voting is not to be trusted. Barr knew already that the plan, if and when the Orange Bloat loses the election, is to attack the Pennsylvania results in the courts.

1 Like

Without actual evidence and in this instance there isn’t any - it was explained - they’ll be laughed out of court.

The election will be decided by votes.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available