21 GOP Reps Opposed Awarding Gold Medals To Capitol Police For Jan. 6 Bravery | Talking Points Memo

The House on Tuesday passed legislation again awarding Congressional Gold Medals to the Capitol Police and other law enforcement who responded to the Jan. 6 attack in a 405-21 vote. 188 Republicans crossed party lines to vote with Democrats.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1377813

Andy Harris

Maryland’s only congressional Republican.

13 Likes

I have a list of 21 Republican Congresspersons who should not receive Capitol Police protection even if the Black Liberation Army (is there one now?) marches up the marble steps and into their offices.

22 Likes

I am very troubled about awards to the Capitol Police. Although many did their duty , there were some that were taking selfies with the rioters chums, and the top leadership was in cahoots with Trump.

3 Likes

GOP: ”Blue Lives (Are Fecal) Matter!”

24 Likes

Wow. Giving medals to LEOs used to be as simple for Republicans as naming a post office after Ronald Reagan, or an airport after Ronald Reagan, or a federal building after Ronald Reagan or a ….

This really ain’t your daddy’s Republican Party. But they don’t care much for Gold Star families anymore either, so it sort of makes sense.

26 Likes

Well in those idiots thinking, the CP were just glorified docents giving directions to the tourists. No honor required.

9 Likes

21 GOP Reps Opposed Awarding Gold Medals To Capitol Police For Jan. 6 Bravery

I was just about to ask Siri who are the 21 biggest assholes in Congress. Thanks for saving me the time.

22 Likes

21…sounds about right…5 rows, 2 benches per row, 2 seats per bench…yep, we got ourselves a shortbus…

Is Margarine Turning Green the driver?

11 Likes

When pressed as to why they voted against awarding the medals, a number of Republican representatives signalled that their opposition was in protest of the House refusing to award participation trophies to the insurrectionists.

17 Likes

21 Likes

These officers stood their ground and fought past exhaustion to stop Donnie Fat Boy’s mob from their mission of murder. They were beaten with clubs, tazed, sprayed with chemicals and organophosphate poison. They were not given protective riot gear. And yet they put themselves between the mob and its intended victim, the government of the U.S. no less. Fuck a bunch of Republicans who pretend otherwise.

21 Likes

Thomas Massie on a jury: “Well, it was a cold-blooded, pre-meditated killing, but I don’t think I’d call it murder.”

12 Likes

Goodman wasn’t wearing his mask according regulations. At a time like this how does he rate any sort of honour?

/S

Edit: didn’t mean to post in response to @pshah but anyways :joy:

11 Likes

And still the GQP demands we support the police.

I guess only those officers that crack ANTIFA heads open, no?

6 Likes

Harris is a proud Tea Partier that is now a member of the so-called Freedom Caucus.

An anesthesiologist by education, Harris voted over 50 times to kill the ACA, participated in a right-wing caravan that drove across Maryland last spring demanding an immediate end to the Covid lockdown (the caravan ended in Salisbury MD, the heart of Maryland’s poultry industry), and shortly afterwards co-signed a letter to trump asking him to over-rule all US Governors and announce that the US was again open for business.

14 Likes

OT- Of course he did…

19 Likes

groupw

Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?

13 Likes

No worries.

Too busy saving Romney’s life (among others) to pull his mask back up. Yeah, what a monster.

9 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy. But it explains why they insurrected and desperately tried to hold power by any means necessary. If they had succeeded, we would have known this along with a million other corrupt acts, minor and major. And, ultimately, it all seems to lead back to the corruption at DoJ. Looks as if Trump did find his Roy Cohn over there.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available