Continue Discussion 192 replies
Jan '21

jstrummer

Pretty bold for Mittens. And I’m not even talking about Bernie…

2 replies
Jan '21

1gg Prime Member

When asked whether Sens, Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Josh Hawley (R-MO)…, Romney said that he doesn’t think the Senate needs to take action against them,…
Really? Not even censure?

4 replies
Jan '21

jchaus Prime Member

When asked whether Sens, Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Josh Hawley (R-MO) should face consequences, given his statement on the day of the Capitol riots condemning those who are “complicit” by objecting to the election results, Romney said that he doesn’t think the Senate needs to take action against them, but that “those that participated in spreading that I think will recognize that they now have a responsibility to set the record straight.

Not holding my breath.

3 replies
Jan '21

ifeveroheverawiztherewas

Mittens doesn’t want to get stuck with the check again

4 replies
Jan '21

garrybee

OT:

Jan '21

uneducated

Both are as guilty as Trump.

Jan '21

pine

How does Mitt square this view ? Susan Collins seems to be on board with this same view.

4 replies
Jan '21

zillacop Prime Member

I’m really kind of dreading this whole thing. We get our hopes up that he’ll be convicted and if he’s not, then what. Do the Rethugs really want this guy to continue circling the Rethug party?
Just when there’s some sanity again in DC, we’ll all get to revisit everything he ever did, he’ll be in the spotlight again. Not sure I can stomach it especially if there’s not a conviction.

6 replies
Jan '21

txlawyer Prime Member

1. The House can impeach anyone it wants to. There are no constitutional limits on who, or for what. Article I, Section 2:

The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment.

If the House wants to impeach Don Jr. for being a stone-cold loser, they can do it.

1. The Senate can convict anyone impeached by the House. The only limits are that it takes a 2/3rds vote and the only punishments are removal and disqualification. Article I, Section 3:

The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two thirds of the members present.
Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States: but the party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment, according to law.

If the Senate wants to convict Don Jr. of being a stone-cold loser and disqualify him from holding any future federal office, it can do so.

1. If – and only if – the impeachment defendant is the President, VP, or other civil officer of the United States, they can be removed from office if – and only if – they are impeached and convicted for treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanors. There are no limits on who can be disqualified from holding future office, or on what basis they can be impeached, convicted, and disqualified. Article II, Section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Don Jr. is not protected under this provision. Neither is Donnie Two Impeachments.

3 replies
Jan '21

thebigragu

Romney said that he doesn’t think the Senate needs to take action against them,…

The old “what goes around, comes around” play!