Right-Wing Justices Haggle Over Law Used To Nab January 6 Rioters

Why is it so hard to charge people for attempting to stop the peaceful transfer of presidential power?

15 Likes

Clarence Thomas has no business presiding over this case about January 6 issues like obstruction. His wife was knee deep in the attempted coup. The fact Thomas is participating starkly reveals his contempt for ethics and commitment to protecting his wife from her acts.

In a sane and just country, Thomas would be already kicked off the Court for his corruption and irredeemable bias.

33 Likes

And Kavanaugh and Barrett confirmed by one vote? One gd vote. Forget the egregious circumstances.

12 Likes

This is a good example of speaking power to truth. Gorsuch is untouchable. So he can say something this outrageous and pay no penalty. He has the power; we do not.

13 Likes

You forgot the people who were killed.

11 Likes

“Would pulling a fire alarm before a vote qualify for 20 years in federal prison?”

Yes. Although we have no example of anyone pulling a fire alarm for the purpose of stopping a Congressional session. Now, Trump did use a different tactic.

Nicolas Cage does it in a couple of movies, I think, but that’s about it.

4 Likes

It seems that some, perhaps a majority of the Federal Society judges will bend over backwards to ensure that these tourists are not considered to be criminals.

This court is SHAMEFUL.

9 Likes

Please name one.

8 Likes

Fortunately, the law has clear remedies by which to address justices who won’t recuse themselves and therefore compromise the Court’s decision.

Wait, what?

9 Likes

Jamaal Bowman is my representative. He is in a very tough primary with a popular and well financed opponent. Pulling that fire alarm was really dumb. Even the Supremes heard about it.

3 Likes

I said it before, and I’ll say it again:

Much of what Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas said today will make up the core of the majority opinion when the decision is handed down. Kavanaugh will join, as will Handmaiden. Roberts might not join, but that’ll make it a 5-4 decision and all of this will go away, as we descend even further into anarchy and fascism.

And yes, I’ll say this again: But her emails…

5 Likes

I can’t help it. I feel intense embarrassment every time I read a quote from the owned justices. They never learned how to behave.

7 Likes

The answer, of course, is “Yes, if he was trying to obstruct an official proceeding.” AFAIK, no evidence was produced to show that he did that on purpose, unlike the numerous Jan 6 rioters.

4 Likes

Yes, the Constitution provides for the remedy of Impeachment. A proceeding that at a time before Clinton was feared and taken seriously by politicians and officials.

But since Clinton has become yet another performative action taken by Congress to make a point other than actually removing an individual from Office. Further cheapened when the GOP violated their oaths of office and let Trump off the hook…twice. With the partisans in Congress it appears that, just like all the norms and expectations (and many amendments and core text) undergirding the Constitution, at least when attempted to be used against Republicans, impeachment is now a meaningless joke.

I mean, c’mon, what the hell even are emouluments?

6 Likes

Well said. It’s the Republican cheapening of everything. What a time.

4 Likes

I think the guy that did it was still censured.

As I recall, the situation was that it was the weekend and he was late to a vote. He went out a locked exit that was typically unlocked during the week (he’s also a new guy to the House) and that opening set of the alarm.

He was trying to GET to the vote, not block it.

7 Likes

They all smirk and condescend to our concerns before voting to ignore them - ignoring the fact that they never were appointed with any kind of popular majority - not in the senate, not with their POTUS.

I hate to wish ill-health on anybody, but I make an exception for those smug, snide legal priests.

4 Likes

But Bruce Willis used it in Die Hard.

2 Likes

Yes, he was censured, plus he plead to the misdemeanor and paid the max fine. A couple of too-cute-by-half repubs tried to claim he was trying to scuttle the vote, but it genuinely looks like he was just being garden variety stupid.

6 Likes

Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas: “Antifa, Black Lives Matter and pro-Palestinian protesters interfered with cars using roadways, therefore, those protesters interfered with proceedings.” OH MY GOD. I’m paraphrasing here, but come on!

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available