Discussion: Zinke Says ‘Konnichiwa’ To Japanese-American Senator

Here’s the definitive Zinke version.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the dopy reporter interviewing Margaret Cho:

Reporter: Why don’t you tell our viewers, in your native language, that we’re switching over to an ABC affiliate?
Margaret Cho: [looks into camera] They’re switching to an ABC affiliate.

27 Likes

SMH

The sooner these assholes die out the better.

7 Likes

It is a beautiful analytical passage — but as for her marriage, well, she did pursue her own indiscretions.

Plus we should remember, I suppose, that some of her eloquence went to serve the cause of fascism.

You know what they say: nobody’s perfect.

6 Likes

" I know a great crackers and vegemite place!"

7 Likes

Thank you. It seems to me that I learn something from TPM each day.

Akasuki Bublé?

Zinke now has a whole body of work that shows that he is a classless pig. Just like his boss, Trump. Where does Trump find these guys?

4 Likes

That’s nothing. He greeted Rep. Maxine Waters by crossing his arms over his chest and yelling, “Wakanda forever!”

15 Likes

You know, I’m not sure to what extent she was annoyed.

Before she asked him her question, in relating the story of her grandparents she had (thereby and explicitly) identified herself as being of Japanese ancestry, as opposed to, say, Chinese or Korean. So, in the first place he was (obviously) not just making an appearance-based assumption about her origins. Second, her “correction” was idiomatic but what he had said was not technically incorrect, either: the original phrase, Konnichi wa gokiken ikaga desu ka? simply means “How are you today?” — not an egregious or offensive mistake for him to have made. And third, when she corrected him, he responded with “I guess it’s after 10” — which, I concede, may not have been as politic as it was subtle.

So was she annoyed? Perhaps a little.

Here’s the exchange cued up properly:

3 Likes

What would a day be without the eyebrow raising goons in the Trump cabinet…they may be the “best people” but it has not been determined at what…

2 Likes

As mattinpa says, this is about highlighting difference. This sh*thead was all about highlighting the fact that he is White and she is not. The hierarchy must be adhered to. That Rep. Hanabusa threw his supposed superiority back in his face was priceless.

6 Likes

Dickhead: a fine demonstration of English diffusion into all linguistic corners of the globe.

2 Likes

Best answered by the old saying…birds of a feather, flock together.

He just knows when it ‘his kind of white guy’.

1 Like

She had done that already, and inevitably: remember what her question was about.

Do drop by and tell us what site that might be.

“Are you committed to continue to grant programs that are identified, I believe, as the Japanese American Confinement Sites grants program which were funded in 2017? Will we see them funded again in 2018?” Hanabusa asked.

Zinke: “Oh, you rikee glant ploglams big time? Me rikee too! Chop, chop!”

He could have gone all Wu Tang on her…

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing as @cub_calloway.

:confounded:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, here is the full skit…

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available