Discussion: Why Norman Lear Thinks Richard Nixon Was So Scandalized By 'All In The Family'

Most of the episodes were done before a live audience.

However, when Stephanie was added to the show (a child who is a relative of Edith’s whom the Bunkers raise) they switched to doing the show without an audience, and then playing the episode for an audience to capture the audience audio.

1 Like

The murder of the man who sang in drag, Beverly, was because he wore woman’s clothing.

Edith says he was murdered “just because of who he is.” She doesn’t say that it was random.

1 Like

Thanks! Thanks for the detail of “why.” I kinda thought so, but couldn’t really remember. Beverly – yes, yes, now that you say it, how could I forget? – Beverly is one of my favorite lady names (this is probably why).

1 Like

Correct, frankly the last couple of years of the show were not good, that is the one criticism I have of it. They dragged it out too long, and Archie Bunker’s Place was even worse. Reminds me of the Andy Griffith Show, brilliant the first few years, but then started to fade, and then Mayberry RFD was just horrible.

The first 5 years of All in the Family were as good as it gets.

2 Likes

Pat drank heavily and Charles ‘Bebe’ Rebozo, always described as a " Florida banker and businessman," went EVERYWHERE the President went. But, if you need more proof Nixon was a queen check out the ‘Prisoner of Zenda’ palace guard uniforms he made the Secret Service wear…
http://cdn.billmoyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/white-house-secret-service-uniforms-nixon.jpg

3 Likes

Agreed, actually not being able to say that seems a bit like having some kind of hang up.

Initially Archie had saved Beverly’s life in his cab by giving mouth to mouth, not realizing it was really a man in drag. Hysterical episode. Beverly was in a couple of more episodes, but then was killed when walking with Mike. Jean Stapleton was as usual amazing in all those episodes.

1 Like

I agree with you on both shows. You stole this thought from me this morning as I was thinking about ‘All In The Family’ after Edith’s death, then remembered ‘Mayberry RFD.’ Some things should be left as is. Another similar “after” show was the one that followed MAS*H.’ Just terrible.

I agree. I’m gay and would not use “handsome and virile” to describe a man I thought was hot. I’d say “he’s hot”. I think only straight guys use the word “virile”. “Handsome” is a word I’d use to describe a good looking straight guy.

1 Like

It seemed terribly preachy then.

I’m glad people were touched by it, but I couldn’t abide it.

Edith was a saintly figure reminiscent of Gracie Allen, but every other character was utterly insufferable. I never found any of them the least funny, any more than I found Jackie Gleason funny as a stupid bully of a bus driver. And the moral lessons were so heavy-handed they sucked the joy right out of the show. Liberal, well-meaning, but cringe-worthy.

2 Likes

Bender said. “I had no idea that Richard Nixon was watching it, too.”

Yeah, I’m having trouble imagining Dick and Pat and the daughters sitting down to watch TV.

Maybe he did it in secret, just him and some Presidential portraits for company.

These comments are true enough, but I do remember the episode of “Archie Bunker’s Place” in which he wanders through the house alone, trying to come to terms with Edith’s death. It was so powerful for me to watch–I’ve never had a television experience seem so absolutely real. Of course, it was due to the impression the characters and actors had left on me (and everybody else.)

3 Likes

Yeah, I think you are right here. I remember that episode, too. Really hurtful, I felt – and, of course, it was due to my love for Jean Stapleton’s bringing so much life and love to the character … and equally because of the interactions between she and Archie over the years. They conveyed such a loving bond. He argued with her a lot and she gave in most all the time, but they still deeply knew and loved each other. That episode you bring up was probably the most powerful one of the ‘Archie Bunker’s Place’ series. I say that with a grain or two of salt because I wasn’t very interested in the new set-up after Edith’s death and–if I remember correctly–Gloria and Mike moved on, as well.

Mike and Gloria moved to California while the show was still called “All in the Family.”

In the first season of “Archie’s Bunker Place,” Edith made occasional appearances.

At the start of season 2 of “Archie Bunker’s Place,” Edith had died (off camera) and Archie is dealing with her death.

2 Likes

I just gotta say…look how great Norman Lear looks in that picture at 93. Wonderful. Living long and living strong are great gifts…and laughter is surely the key to living that long life.

Love Norman Lear. A great American.And anyone that pisses off Nixon is A-OK in my book.

4 Likes

Thanks, Eric, for correcting me. Bad memory of mine regarding this series. My apologies.

They were people too…Dick and Pat used to have an apartment at 4201 Massachusetts Avenue, NW when he was in Congress where, I assume, they watched TV as well.
Ronnie and Nancy used to eat dinner off TV trays while they watched the tube in the Family quarters…

What’s real pitiful is that due to PC nonsense, All in the Family would not be allowed on network TV right now, even though it pushed a liberal agenda. That’s a sign of how absurd the PC crowd is. Sanford and Son is another show that would not be allowed as well.

1 Like

One of the first US comedies inspired by a British original - Till Death Us Do Part.

Like Archie, Alf Garnett entered our lexicon too.

Some didn’t understand the satire here, either, and Warren Mitchell (like Carroll) was the polar opposite of his character in real life.

I do remember we were a bit snooty about the US effort (a tradition which carries on to this day with things like The Office) but I guess you won’t be surprised!

1 Like

Yes, Jean Stapleton was amazing. And as @BeattyCat’s reaction to her indicates, Edith was basically her creation, and not simply a departure from the UK original. Watch the first episode: Edith is a quietly put-upon, slumping, sullen sad sack. But within a very few episodes, she’s become the innocently silly, exuberant, pure-hearted, infinitely loving character we all remember. A great, original, beautiful piece of work.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available