Discussion: Why Does Creepy Uncle Joe Biden Get A Pass From Liberals?

Discussion for article #231789

Leave Joe alone! For cripes sakes some people act like he is wandering around sniffing little girls’ bicycle seats or something. Get a life.

33 Likes

more than just positions

Careful, Alana, your knee-jerk newspop ‘feminism’ has its roots in FOX smears new and ancient. Study the various videos, say the Speaker and Ms. Pelosi yesterday for an example of ‘no’ body language, and excepting for an awkward teen you’re jamming another FOX square peg into a triangular opening. Please…

36 Likes

No, Alana, you’re not a “bad feminist” or a “bad liberal” - you’re just an idiot (I seriously try to avoid the pejoratives, but this is just too much).

This is the most pathetic excuse for an article I’ve seen yet on TPM.

Creepy Uncle Joe? Really? Based on what - your willful misreading of intent and just plain ignorance?

I think you need to be a bit more hands-on Josh. Your underlings are really out of control.

47 Likes

‘Creepy Uncle Joe Biden?’

Are you fucking kidding me?

31 Likes

Like a person with Tourette’s who might call a black guy the N-word but not really mean it in a derogatory way (We just can’t help it), Biden in glad-hand mode just can’t help himself. It’s like political Tourette’s.

Just like Larry Craig can’t help having a “Wide Stance”.

Is he perfect? No. Awesome? Yes.

7 Likes

I think this is exactly the sort of writing that Josh wants here. She is not a full time writer, merely someone contributing an article. And he has, for some months now at least, been steadily increasing the number of "huffpro"ish articles like this…things that just have a very slight relationship to politics.

The “no black people in The Wild” one was the worst, in my opinion so far. But I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing going forward here at TPM.

19 Likes

This is a genuinely bizarre article. Alana, please list exactly and specifically what Joe’s sins are - in welcoming and swearing in new colleagues and their families to the Senate, he put his arm around a tween, he said spread your legs and prepare to be frisked, he told an old lady she was pretty, he tried to give a little girl a kiss on the cheek (and she wasn’t having it). What else you got??? Are. You. Serious? Its really becoming harder and harder to recognize the smart political blog I fell in love with a few years ago.

30 Likes

Wow.

Apparently the asshole brigade is out in force in the TPM comments section

Special shout out to BradBennett: I’m guessing typing “Well, Alana, I disagree”, instead needlessly of insulting the author, would have caused your fingers to explode.

Do you behave that way in real life? When you disagree with someone face-to-face like this, is your first instinct to react in a belligerent sneer?

If Josh Marshall needs to do anything, he might want to re-examine your posting privileges.

As for the article: Alana does have a point. Biden’s VP, and he was being a little too touchy feely with some of the women he greeted. Seeing as most of the rocket scientists who’ve commented here so far are men, I’m guessing there’s a huge “Oh, boys will boys” mentality going around.

7 Likes

Here’s the question TPM should most be concerned with: How much longer will TPM get a pass from its regular visitors?

33 Likes

Political Wire is eating TPM’s lunch lately, and much of what they do is simply link to stories from other major political sites.

But at the same time, their comments don’t stop to ponder if “Creepy Uncle Joe” is Chester the Molester.

(which might explain why I see a lot of former TPM posters over there.)

11 Likes

Unfortunately, me too. I think we all need to band together and find another place to hang out. This joint is getting real old real quick.

9 Likes

Oooh! Really? I’ll be right there. Thanks!

4 Likes

Based on how needlessly nasty most of the commenters are being towards the author, a mass exodus might not be a bad thing.

7 Likes

It’s OK for you to post that as yourself, Alana.

8 Likes

“Firstly, it’s wrong for a man to decide what makes women uncomfortable.”
And with that, the so-called Engagement Editor forecloses the opportunity for half her audience to engage in any debate on the issue she raises.
Oh well. I guess it’s back to GunsAndAmmo.com for me, then.

13 Likes

When writing a piece of humor, it’s important to actually be funny.

13 Likes

I see down-to-Earth charm and genuine warmth.
You see a creepy sexual subtext.

We disagree.

24 Likes

Years ago when I was studying philosophy in Europe I took an introductory psych class. The instructor was a women in her 50’s. On one occasion she walked around the room and talked to each student and as she did so put her hand on their shoulders. When she had finished her rounds she came to the front of the class and pointed out that not a single student objected to being touched by her. She asked if it would be the same if she were a man.

Is the author of this bit kidding or just a dupe? If that was a boy and it was Biden’s wife putting her hand on his side would Ms. Levinson even notice? There is nothing creepy or inappropriate about Biden’s behavior in that pic. Nothing. The only thing deserving criticism from this bit is its author…who does seem a bit creepy. Perhaps is felicitous but it sux at that too.

20 Likes

Jesus, someone criticizes this board for a lack of civility, and your first reaction is to accuse the author of sock puppetry. That’s some real Fox Nation/Free Republic display of logic there.

No, I’m not the author. Just a longtime TPM reader who’s genuinely shocked to see how ignorant this particular slice of the TPM commentariat is.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available