Discussion: What The Supreme Court Could Decide When It Comes To Trump's Travel Ban

I’d like to see SCOTUS take a more practical tack:

Trump seeks to halt visits from residents of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days so his administration can review the screening procedures for visa applicants from those countries.

They could rule that he’s now had his 90 days to review the screening procedures, so the travel ban is moot.

8 Likes

You have read my mind. For the last five months there has been nothing stopping the administration from reviewing their procedures - I don’t think it’s going to take the sharpest of legal minds to point that out. What the administration’s lack of meaningful review demonstrates is that the initial EO was purely for political purposes and not national security as has been claimed.

5 Likes

I’d love it if a justice pointed out that the panic over Muslims hasn’t kept Trump from visiting his golf courses thirty-one times since taking office. Immediate action required…now watch this drive!

4 Likes

Exactly! He’s had plenty of time to “figure out what the hell is going on.” But, somehow, I don’t think that that was the real motive behind his ban.

2 Likes

But how can anyone be expected to think straight and undertake a careful review when we know that the Moooslims–I mean, those individuals who happen to originate from those particular regions of the world–are in our country RIGHT NOW, freely walking its streets?

1 Like

Yes. That fact should argue against the SC removing the hold placed by the lower courts and allowing Trumpp to implement the ban while the battle continues over the legality of the ban. The remedy sought by the administration – time to review screening/vetting procedures – has already been granted by the passage of time.

There is no longer a credible claim for an urgent need to implement a ban to allow a review of visa procedures.

1 Like

Ask Mr Gorsuch , he`s Mr Trumps mate on SCOTUS .

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available