Discussion: WH Budget Chief Says He Has 'No Idea' Why GOP Couldn't Get Votes For Repeal

That’s what I thought looking at the tallies. I believe that, the majority of those who said they would vote no were moderates or otherwise not affiliated with the tea party. So I don’t think “the freedom caucus killed the bill” was accurate… But I think for progressives it’s a helpful story…

1 Like

You can’t do acid in the age of Trump. You might end up actually understanding what he is talking about, and then you would have no other choice but to switch from Purple Microdot to Strychnine.

1 Like

“functionality illiterate”

1 Like

Longer perspective; a longer history of being discriminated against, a keener awareness that the worm will turn, and turn again, and again.

3 Likes

In Boston, the folks from the Irish neighborhoods were some of the most racist around. I just know that some of the Irish brilliance missed the toads you mention… they def are missing the empathy and brilliance gene.

1 Like

I like herbal tea, myself :wink:

1 Like

Whoops!

This is a very good post Davey jones. In both content and structure. Not many lay people can cover this much information on a political blog, and keep it both informative and readable. I know I can’t. Good job.

4 Likes

NEW RULE

If you’re going to insist on electing people to work for govt who publicly state their hatred for govt and their plan to do everything they can to break govt - then YOU must only be allowed to have teachers, pilots, doctors, surgeons and baby sitters who hate teaching, flying, healing and helping and who vow to flunk, crash, kill and neglect YOU.

It is the conservative voter who is the biggest threat to this nation, much bigger than ISIS.

More accurate headline: “WH Budget Chief has ‘No Idea’ of the Difference between his Ass and a Hole in the Ground.”

1 Like

"I know the Freedom Caucus. I helped found it.

Shorter Freedom Caucus Founding Idiot: Freedom Caucus’s only purpose is to stand up to The Black Guy. Nothing else. WTF are these guys doing!

1 Like

One of the mostest pukish of all the fucking pusillanimous fucking pusillanimous little pukes amongst a great stinking sea of pusillanimous pukers. It jest cain’t git no worst than this here, or cain it?

I don’t think so. Price has yet to weigh in with damage from HHS. POTUS wants to see ACA implode/explode (that will make a nice gif).

1 Like

Mulvaney was a Congressman for 6 years and he has no idea how to collect votes?? Welp, one way would be to write a decent healthcare bill. Or better yet fix the ACA. OR EVEN BETTER expand medicare to everyone and fund it by removing the fica salary tax cap.

But he has no idea.

2 Likes

The problem for the Republicans is as it always has been, they have no replacement. The AHCA was a joke. They acknowledged that when they didn’t even want to vote on it, and they know they have nothing better to offer.

1 Like

Five years ago, he topped a list of stupidest Congressperson.

We have to be ready for a plot twist here. As I recall, 83-year-old push-up champion Charles Grassley was a member of Max Baucus’s Gang of Six that started the Obama era health care fight six or seven months after Obama took office. The ACA, including the Baucus gutting effort, didn’t achieve approval and presentment to Obama for signing until Obama had been in office 14 months. And that bill was the product of something that had been kicking around for decades. My only point here is that it takes time to do legislation that affects over 18% of GDP. You can’t do it weeks or even months. If Trump said “I’ll get you a better health care system in 18 months” that would’ve been credible. I’ll do health care immediately is not and never was. So what actually were Ryan and the gang actually up to with this recent “failure”? Was it a charade? Trump is a novice, but people like Enzi and Grassley have been at this rodeo a long time and know all the players and possible strategies. Whatever happened last week wasn’t just a “failure”, it was some kind of Noh theater that failed to even pass the smell test.

2 Likes

Sure, I agree that could happen. My point is no matter if Price sabotages the law and millions lose coverage, they will be forced to come up with a solution, or get slaughtered in the mid-terms. From Republican Governors who have accepted medicaid expansion, to Republican Senators that represent those states, to Republicans like Darrel Issa who got an earful at Town Halls, Republicans other than the Freedumb Caucus agree these people need and deserve insurance.

Republicans 8 years ago said that the Federal Government had no business getting involved in health insurance markets.

Now Republicans agree they need to at least guarantee “access” to insurance. For which of course they have no viable plan.

Hardline conservatives had a point that Trumpcare was Obamacare lite. Per Kevin Drum.

- When they say that AHCA tax credits are the same thing as ACA tax subsidies, they’re right.
- When they say that AHCA’s community rating with a 5:1 age band is the same thing as ACA’s community rating with a 3:1 age band, they’re right.
- When they say that AHCA’s continuous coverage provision is the same thing as ACA’s individual mandate, they’re right.
- When they say that AHCA’s ban on turning down people with pre-existing conditions is the same as ACA’s ban on turning down people with pre-existing conditions, they’re right.
- When they say AHCA’s reliance on Medicaid for the very poorest is the same as ACA’s reliance on Medicaid for the very poorest, they’re right.

Throw in allowing young adults to stay on their parents policies until they are 26, and you have Obamacare lite. And recent events have shown, enough Republicans prefer Obamacare to Obamacare Lite, that the battle is essentially over. They have the Senate, they have the House, they have the Presidency, it appears they had the Parliamentarian willing to go along with getting rid of the 10 EHB’s via reconciliation,and they couldn’t get it done.

I didn’t state they overtly supported universal coverage as a goal, but if you look at the dynamics, and their current positions, especially in the context of recent events, they have painted themselves into a corner of agreeing the government has a role in making sure everybody has access to health care, I am pretty sure I heard Tom Price say those exact words.

That is far different from what they said in 2009.

EDIT* After posting this, I went to peruse the Huffington Post, and this link below was the lead article. This expresses the gist of my thoughts and what I was trying to say.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. He is a true congresscritter. Needs a flea bath.

You are correct - Mulvaney IS too stupid for his job at OMB just like he was too stupid to be in Congress. Once upon a time he was a small time basically crooked developer (a mini-Trump?) - then tea party and anti-ACA hysteria put him into Congress (he was in the SC legislature before that). The man he replaced in Congress - John Spratt - would have been great in the OMB job - of course, he was a Democrat who had been in Congress over 20 years and he actually understood the federal budget and the issues. He was my Congressman - you saw him on CSPAN with charts not on Fox News.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available