Discussion: Watch: SNL Hits Every Obama Scandal While Ridiculing Ebola Response

Belushi died of an OD close to 7 years before Radner passed away. Both of the coneheads (Akroyd and Curtin) are still alive and well, however.

1 Like

Wow! The teabaggers are right! NBC truly is a liberal network, all the way! Wow! I’m shocked!

3 Likes

Wow, I just thought the EXACT same thing. Who watches SNL when Colbert, Stewart, Oliver, and that ahat Maher are on the air. But, I’m in my 30s. I’m a bit young to remember when SNL was funny.

2 Likes

Even George Carlin?

1 Like

As is Laraine Newman, the original Connie Conehead.

At times like this, I try to stop and really evaluate my own subjectivity. The last thing I want to do is act like a right-winger who immediately starts screaming that any objective, non-partisan news outlet or comedian is part of a liberal conspiracy. Am I right to find this skit to be ridiculously and unfairly partisan, or I am just viewing through my own leftist lenses?
None of those things mentioned constitute an actual scandal at all. This is just an extension of the narrative the GOP has built on the backs of a complacent media–that anything bad is Obama’s fault, though no one seems capable of articulating his administration’s missteps. It’s fitting that the writers call it “this whole ebola thing,” as opposed to attempting to explain how the Ebola crisis qualifies as a scandal at all. It’s analogous to critics of Obama’s foreign policy never having the guts or the knowledge to actually state what they think he should do differently. As a result, we get polls showing Americans giving Obama terrible foreign policy approval ratings, even though he is by and large taking actions most Americans agree with when polled on the individual issues.
ISIS, Secret Service, IRS, NSA… In a post-Nixon, post-Reagan, post-Clinton, post-GWB world, these are scandals?
The skit feels nakedly partisan as hell. That’s all fine and dandy I suppose, but to produce such a skit in the first weekend of early voting for a general election? It seems intentionally malicious.

11 Likes

I think the reason that SNL has never had a good Obama sketch is because I don’t think any of the writers they have actually know the first thing about the news. They have just come across as bits written by someone who has occasionally walked by a newsstand and seen a NY Post headline.

3 Likes

I am so proud to admit I have NEVER watched SNL - mostly because it’s way past my bedtime. Now I am glad

Meh.

Tell me again about the so-called liberal media. Welcome to corporate whoredom, SNL!

1 Like

I was done with it years ago. Remember the idiotic Victoria Jackson?

1 Like

Carlin had wit so yes, the word even wasn’t meant as a slight, and he wouldn’t use material that isn’t material.

1 Like

Every time Republicans proudly cut funding and bad things happen as a result, they call it another Obama scandal and the headline writers and news readers fall in line.

5 Likes

I don’t remember SNL doing a skit on Shrubs scandals most of which were far worse. Yes, Will Farrell did a great job playing W. But did they mock him sitting in a classroom reading a children’s book when the county was under attack? The fibs that caused the quagmire in Iraq? Gutting FEMA, letting a city drown causing the deaths of 1800 people. Letting fundamentalist Christians run the justice department etc.

2 Likes

This is S&L’s version of Satire. Yes?

Everything that is wrong with everything is Obama’s fault. Thanks Obama.

1 Like

So, now, the criteria for a scandal is simply the beltway media labeling it as such? I don’t care about SNL. My reaction is to the disingenuous headline here on TPM: what scandals?

4 Likes

Yep.

How many time have they tried to label something as “Obama’s Katrina”? That tells you that these so called objective beltway “journalists” clearly have an agenda.

2 Likes

i don’t know who lorne michaels thinks his audience is but it sure as heck isn’t primarily republicans. if he wants the last 6 people who watch this lame, unfunny show to stop watching he should keep bashing the president and democrats.

3 Likes

SNL needs to bring Dennis Miller back. He would fit right in. Bus in Mike Huckabee’s fawning audience and install signs for “Applause” and “Laughter” and they can broadcast on Fox to more directly reach their demographic.

4 Likes

To be fair, I did think that Tina Fey’s Sarah Palin was pretty funny back in '08.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available