Discussion: WATCH: Rachel Maddow, Santorum Go Head-To-Head Over Gay Marriage

The Court has occasionally changed its mind and overturned past decisions, but that is only after a considerable time and when the general opinion of society changes, as was the case with Brown reversing Plessy v. Ferguson. But, the likelihood of the social climate changing against same-sex marriage seems extremely low. If anything, it will become more accepted.

4 Likes

Do you like anyone?

1 Like

And Darcy is right there with Puppies. Sick minds think alike

2 Likes

Those were not ThunderclapNewman’s words — he was quoting Darcy.

1 Like

I was quoting Darcy.

You need to read more carefully before you embarrass yourself again.

Chief Justice Roberts at one point in effect compared the marriage ruling (same sex marriage) to Dred Scott v. Sandford. Abraham Lincoln’s opinion on the case was that it was wrong and eventually the Supreme Court would discover the errors of their ways.

He also noted one ruling should not bind the country right away. If the opinion is seen by enough people as wrong, it could be challenged and only becomes firmly binding from such challenge when it in place for a long time, firmly accepted by multiple court action. So, for example, during the Civil War, Congress did protect rights of blacks though Dred Scott said they were not constitutional “persons.”

http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas-hius366a/lincoln.html

Congress tried that when the Supreme Court struck down a punishment for burning the flag in protest. The Supreme Court then reaffirmed they previous opinion. An individual litigant might be barred from re-litigating something. Congress doesn’t have the problem. It might be a waste of time, but in that respect Santorum is correct.

Oh, snap!

1 Like

You know you’re the only one I like chammy.

1 Like

Absolutely correct. The best one hour news hour n TV

4 Likes

You shouldn’t insult chammy that way.

1 Like

“There are people who are alive today who identify themselves as gay and lesbian and who no longer are,” he added after Maddow continued to press him on the issue.

There are are also people alive today who identify themselves as straight and who no longer are. What’s your point, Rick?

5 Likes

Yeah I know.

His point is on top of his head, but he hopes it won’t show if he combs his thinning hair the right way.

2 Likes

“I was quoting Darcy.”

No, your words Thunder. I knew you were on my side.

1 Like

I understood what you were saying and doing. I apologize if it didn’t come across that way

3 Likes

I agree with you, Khaaannnn. My first reaction reading the headline was “wow, that was brave of him”. But, I realized this was Santorum’s “Hail Mary” to get enough publicity to stand a chance of sneaking into the top ten contenders who’ll be on the first Republican debate.

And any bets the GOP will decide to expand the number of participants, since so many candidates are getting lower percentages than the margin of error? (And squeeze the time available for Trump.)

1 Like

I meant to respond to Darcy

3 Likes

False.

You are a pathological liar.

2 Likes

Those were not ThunderclapNewman’s words — he was quoting Darcy.

I responded in the wrong place. I did know that. Soorry for the confusion

2 Likes

chammy gettin’ snappish?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available