Discussion: Under Fire, Trump Resurrects His Oldest Campaign Trail Controversies

I don’t think you need that “or” in the first sentence. He could easily be both.

4 Likes

Michael Hayden, Leon Panetta, and Robert Gates, the last two Secretaries of Defense, each of them former directors of the CIA (two of them Republicans), have all stated that Donald Trump cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons. He has shown all of us again and again he is uninformed, vindictive, and impetuous. Does this not terrify everyone? Why is any other topic under discussion? Why does any Republican leader support him? This point needs to be made again and again until he has no support from any elected leader. All of us, all of our children and grandchildren are jeopardized by his candidacy. We cannot afford to return to any other business as usual political subject. He must be stopped now before he does even more harm to all of us. He has done enough already.

5 Likes

Anyone who disagrees is “perverted,” Trump told attendees at a Daytona Beach, Florida town hall.

I don’t know much about pervertism, but when I do I rejoice at orangisms

1 Like

I think it’s more likely he’s lying, while implying to his gullible supporters these are things he gained access to from his briefings. It will be hard for anyone to expose a lie about something implied to have been divulged during a top secret briefing, so this is a golden opportunity for Trump to spread a lot of FUD and paranoia among his base…and maybe expand his base.

His actual misuse of state secrets is more likely to be selling them.

Trump may be lousy about impulse control, but he does have a level of cunning and a knack for manipulation that enabled him to become the GOP’s nominee. And he has Manafort to help him. His desire for self-gratification can be satisfied completely simply by knowing that his supporters believe he’s divulging secrets to them. He doesn’t have to actually be divulging secrets.

2 Likes

Aside from the sheer joy of it.

3 Likes

Remember when Harry Potter blew up Aunt Marge? That would be fun.

4 Likes

Long time lurker, first comment. Can someone please reassure me about Trump’s “fundraising” numbers? Seems terrifying to me that he could raise that much after everything the last two weeks.

3 Likes

Lawrence O’Donnell did the first 15-20 minutes of his show tonight on exactly this topic. He explained, in a straightforward manner, a scenario in which the President might have to decide to use nuclear weapons - what is actually carried in the briefcase, the fact that the official codes are with the President at all times, and the likelihood that he/she would have between 3-6 minutes with little external input to decide whether or not to launch them. Of all of the worries about a Trump presidency, this is absolutely the most terrifying.

12 Likes

Welcome - the comments on TPM are so smart, funny and thought-provoking. I read that the numbers the Trump campaign provided are estimates at this point and will be verified (or not) in the next official campaign report which comes out soon. One of the frequent posters here referred to a NYT article explaining this, but I can’t find the link right now.

2 Likes

You can pretty much guarantee at this point that anything out of his mouth is 180 degrees opposite from the truth.

4 Likes

It played so well last time!

2 Likes

The NYT article talks about Trump “closing the gap” on fundraising, but the gap they’re referring to is amount per month, not total fundraising. The timeframe is just the month of July, and we don’t have breakdown stats yet.

As of last (prior, I presume) reporting, OpenSecrets shows Clinton’s campaign having raised 264M (total), from large and small donors, Trump’s having raised 89M (total), with 56% of that being self-funding, and the rest from small and large donors. Their summary also shows an additional 100M in Clinton PACs and 10M in Trump PACS.
Clinton:

Trump:

So it’s a big chunk of money (if true), but only for one month. Guess we’ll have to see what happens next month.

4 Likes

@panicspiral2016
Here’s to the link to the NYT story about trump’s fundraising exceeding Clinton’s. It may be a lot of money, but it’s too late. As election day approaches, ad buys on TV are more expensive than earlier in the campaign. In the past losing candidates one of whom was Romney also raised and spent a ton of money. It doesn’t always mean a win.

Mr. Trump’s surge is coming very late in the campaign, at a point where advertising rates climb and the chance to invest in a long-term digital and campaign infrastructure is long past.

He is relying more on small-donor fund-raising in part because he has faced opposition from some of the party’s biggest patrons, such as Meg Whitman, a California business executive, who said Monday that she was so disgusted with Mr. Trump that she would vote for Mrs. Clinton.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. You just made my point to @panicspiral2016 that posters here are so well read/informed and represent so many areas of expertise that we all learn something valuable every day.

1 Like

I was just going to edit my post and add we must remember campaign coverage is mostly horse race theorizing and must be taken into account. Also, Emily’s List has always been behind Clinton, and do you know what Emily stands for? It’s this: Early Money is Like Yeast (It makes the dough rise). That’s the simple truth

6 Likes

I’m a member and always assumed that “Emily” referred to a particular individual who inspired the organization. That saying is really quite interesting and prescient.

1 Like

Wow, my hands and fingers are longer than his and I’m a 5 '7" woman.

4 Likes

Megyn Kelly still has dialogue with this prick, that’s the hard thing to imagine.
Got the ladies pretty conditioned over there at Faux.
I wonder what Ailes them? Sorry.

Why didn’t Captain Dipshit bring up the Mexican rapists or his awesome wall idea?
Umm, because they were effing stupid, just like all the rest of his blabbering.
He is doing a greatest hits from his perspective it seems.

For $124.95 you too can get an oldies collection of his greatest hits and if you order now, like 10 minutes ago now, he’ll throw in his current besties of Khan insults, misogyny and war cries at no extra cost but;
S&H of course and small monthly recurring fee.

2 Likes

Women are often their own worst enemy. I saw that many times over the years.

Just not the temperament. If being angry when perfect results aren’t achieved then he is your man.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available