Discussion: TX House Passes Bill That Would Label Cards Of Those With O-care Subsidies

Discussion for article #236264

Republicans.
All discrimination.
All the time.

jw1

42 Likes

“However, critics of the bill worry that the labels could lead to discrimination.”

Duh. That’s PRECISELY what they are designed to do. And then some conservative fucking jackass with chip on his shoulder will do a study that shows “Obamacare recipients receive worse medical treatment and health care options than those with regular market insurance,” concluding that it “proves” that “Obamacare is a failure”…yammering about “something something everyone’s covered, but not all coverage is equal”…completely missing the point that it’s all because conservative doctors in TX deliberately shy away from or give unsatisfactory, cursory treatment to people they see with those labels on their cards because they (a) resent the ACA and/or (b) assume the patient covered by the ACA won’t pay.

42 Likes

WTF?! This is beyond ridiculous! Next for the Texas legislature, golden triangles worn on the chest to mark out ‘those’ people. You know who I mean.

Although, wasting their time with nonsense like this is the only chance of the campus carry bill not becoming law this session, so silver linings I guess.

27 Likes

Next on their To-Do list:

62 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. Because surely, nobody would use this label to discriminate.

11 Likes

"Neurologist Dr. Sara Austin testified on behalf of the Texas Medical Association in support of the legislation. In her written testimony, Austin said that insurance companies provide individuals with a 90-day grace period when they fall behind on their payments. Insurance companies must offer insurance for the 90 days, but if the individual does not pay at the end of the three months, insurance companies can terminate the insurance and demand a refund from doctors for the final 60 days of the grace period, according to Austin.

Austin said the label “lets the physician office know that the 90-day grace period applies and provides information necessary for the physician to remind the patient about the importance of continuing to pay his or her portion of the premium.”

It looks to me like the 90 day grace period applies to ALL insurance in Texas. So, isn’t this just a way to identify people who get subsidies, rather than provide some useful information for purposes of providing care?

Why are Republicans so mean spirited? Is it their Christian morality? Or perhaps the aversion to helping those people?

53 Likes

I am surprised they didn’t make the marking a single scarlet “O,” instead of “QHP-S.”

12 Likes

Dudensing said that the labels could result in doctors discriminating against patients who receive subsidies.

Also, stop signs could lead to people stopping, planting seeds can lead to plant growth, unprotected vaginal intercourse can lead to pregnancy, and elections in Texas can lead to hateful, half-insane shitkickers controlling the state house.

21 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t require branding or tattooing.

11 Likes

Yes. And the ONLY reason to throw up a red flag (or star of david patch, as the case may be) that the patient is a subsidy recipient is as a means of “warning” doctors of the patient’s membership in the “high risk group” with respect to payment/reimbursement, i.e., “don’t try as hard and don’t order those tests because you’re not as likely to get reimbursed by the insurer…just let the fucking wastoid moocher die and save us all the money and the headache.” This serves them many purposes on their agenda, not least of which is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that the ACA is a failure because its recipients receive, on average, sub-standard care…

Well, and, of course, higher “medically unfortunate results” for the poor folks. I mean, let’s face it, part of the conservative white racist bigot Christian fundamentalist freakout over the ACA is that they somewhat enjoyed the poor (who they largely equate with minorities) having a shorter life span and dying off in greater numbers. It helps keep their population from growing and forcing us to do more about the poverty, i.e., increased “entitlement” expenditures or finally being forced to enact actual fixes (and boy would higher “entitlement” expenditures and more living, healthy poor voters help to create the pressure to do so). Horror of horrors…the “poor” population keeps growing at the same rate as the rest of us or even faster and…shudder…they get to vote!

20 Likes

I’m gonna go with the forehead carving like Lancel in one of the recent Game of Thrones episodes.

4 Likes

Texas. Republicans. All you need to know.

3 Likes

“Other than creating a group that you’re going to discriminate against, I don’t see any purpose for indicating that people are getting a subsidy,” Jose E. Camacho, executive director of the Texas Association of Community Health Centers, told the Texas Tribune.

Bingo! There is no shortage of people the Republicans like to hate. They are true hatriots.

16 Likes

Has a nice “O” shape. Seems about right to me. Of course, there would probably be some kind of unwritten exception for people who share Lancel’s skin tone.

2 Likes

LOL! I didn’t even think of that part…the “O” shape! Perfect! I was thinking more along the lines of the brutality and the fact that such a “mark” would be indelible but yeah…this all fits nicely together. Heck, they could even save the time and just brand the forehead instead of carving it…altho why skip the slow torment?

1 Like

So very Christian of these Republicans.

4 Likes

Well, yeah, I guess if your whole political platform is based on spite-fuled dickishness and an inability to come up with things that actually benefit your constituents, this would be the kind of shit you come up with. Kudos to you Texas.

6 Likes

These sore loser assholes will fight a plan designed by their own organization with childish enthusiasm because a dark complected Democratic President had the nerve to implement it.

It’s a crazy world.

9 Likes

I doubt there is a single republican in the Texas legislature who has a remote chance of ever making it to heaven. Not the slightest chance. Disgusting.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available