Discussion: Trump's Chat With Japan's First Lady: Lost In Translation Or A Snub?

Hey, she was being just the kind of woman Trump likes: silent. The only question is whether she’s a “10” or some lower number.

2 Likes

Donald Trump is so FOS! I lived in Japan for 3 years; almost all Japanese people speak and comprehend at least some English. I taught English conversation while I was there. Maybe the real problem was Trump’s lack of Tic Tacs, among other ticky tacky things.

2 Likes

Trump is like that famed British tourist that demands an English speaker. It’s cordial to say hello in the language of the person you have initiated a conversation with to show that you value his/her language before you proceed to speak in English. Obama always made a point of speaking at least one of his host’s language. Expecting everyone to know your language is colonial thinking.

4 Likes

You should wager more than that! My ass speaks better English than trump. Not that it’s fluent, mind you, but it’s such a low bar when it comes to donnie. Indeed, a fart echoing in a toilet bowl is likely to make more sense than he does, even on his best day (which is only when he manages to stick to a teleprompter).

Speaking of translators - isn’t that what his lickspittle surrogates that appear on cable news are? Translating from trumpeese for the rest of us? Except they don’t know what he means either, so its just lies and spin to try to make him look slightly less insane than he actually is. donnie whisperers - that’s what they are, I suppose.

Wait, Trump speaks English?!?

4 Likes

Given Trump’s speaking ability, are we sure he can speak English?

Putin himself is proficient in English and is often heard correcting his own translators, but he almost never speaks English in public.

Ah, I’d been wondering about this. It seemed odd to me that someone in his position wouldn’t know English, but I hadn’t seen it mentioned before. Another reason to always bring an American translator when meeting with him.

1 Like

We should always consider the option that Trump is just lying again–this time to make an excuse for his discussion with Putin. Given past history, he will lie about anything, even if it is demonstrably false.

4 Likes

It can be convenient in a negotiation, to have a translator involved, even when you speak the language fluently, it gives you more time to formulate a reply…

4 Likes

Oh dear , so many young ladies saying " NO " to Trumpy …

In Anne Rice’s Mayfair witches series; a modern day legacy named Rowan, discovers to her horror at first, that she has an uncanny ability. In the novel Rowan is a young, beautiful, highly successful brain surgeon who was taken away as a baby from her disabled mother to be raised by distant cousins in San Francisco, never to know of her biological legacy as a powerful Mayfair witch. One day she gets really pissed off at someone and they have a massive aneurysm which kills them. This happens a couple of times before it dawns on her that she causes it and she later discovers she can do this whether she is having eye contact with someone in person or if she’s watching them on TV.

Sometimes I fantasize about having that power as it would come in handy on occasion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot easier to read a speak in a foreign language you somewhat know than being able to understand it when being spoken by some folks. And Donald may be a hard person to follow with his speech patterns.

1 Like

Hate to be petty, but she is not “Japan’s First Lady.” A “first lady” is the wife of an elected head of state. The PM is head of government. The closest Japan has to a “first lady” is the Empress.

1 Like

It must have been that she was afraid she would sound inferior is she spoke to a person with such an intellectually superior vocabulary. Yes, that must have been it…I can’t believe the media is covering it up.

I have it on good authority that she’s like a lot of Japanese people, she can “speak” English (e.g. reading prepared remarks) but can’t really have English conversation. From a billingual person who met her. And apologies for the generalization but I lived in Japan as an English teacher, it’s a typical thing where they study the language in school but don’t typically go on to do the things necessary to become fluent.

In Short; Everybody else has cool leaders except us. #Sad

1 Like

Clearly a snub. Why would any woman want to be within 50 - 100 feet of this sexual predator and his leering… She must have been thoroughly disgusted to have been seated next to him. Who won’t be.

It gives you more time to think before responding. You also get to watch the other person’s emotional state while his/her words are being translated. Anxious? Nervous? Eager? Trepidatious? Any moderately strong emotion will betray itself during that wait.

Even better, how 'bout “She’s a terrific person”. He doesn’t see women as people.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available