Discussion: Trump To Appoint Anti-Abortion Leader Charmaine Yoest To Post At HHS

Look, I am fine with people who have personal issues with abortion but not if they are going to go around talking about it and making an issue of it.

The point of doing that is not what it is being sold as. Ever since the election there has been a rumble - and it was practically a riot right afterwards - about jettisoning abortion as being part of the Identity politics that theoretically has caused us to lose. First off, I think the assumption about “identity politics” is a crock of shit, but over and above that, how would you feel if suddenly there was this movement in the Democratic Party to live with Democrats who don’t vote with the rest on the issue of affirmative action? Climate change?

No it’s always abortion. And men are ever so casual at times about saying yeah, this is ok, this will be fine.

No it won’t. It is not. I am ok with your persona reservations, but shut up about them, especially if you are male. Your position as a liberal male should be It’s none of my business.

3 Likes

I don’t know where you got that about the major of Omaha at all.

Where was I when? You are not being clear.

The next time the First Intern says anything out his support of women, someone please refer to this nomination.

1 Like

What’s your point?

The race for Mayor of Omaha is between an extreme rightwing Republican and a pro-life Democrat. There has been a HUGE outcry because Bernie went to campaign for the Democrat, mostly (though not entirely) from Clinton supporters who were outraged that he would support someone who was not pro-choice… none of whom said a single thing about how terrible it is to not support abortion rights when Clinton said she could support a constitutional ban on third-trimester abortions.

2 Likes

And the deaths that have occurred at the behest of my right hand are legion!

I knew I was getting old when I turned on the internets machine to masturbate and ended up balancing my checkbook and looking over my portfolio.

2 Likes

I"m not in an argument over Bernie vs Hillary at the moment.

There is no such thing as third trimester abortions anyway.

It’s a good question whether there is much difference for women in that scenario. Mayors aren’t in Congress so I personally don’t give a shit who is mayor of Omaha, Nebraska.

2 Likes

Thank you for your service. Both of you.

3 Likes

I don’t know her but I am sure proud of her as well. We need many more like her.

3 Likes

Oh good, now I’m reduced to being a plant at best.
(lays head on desk… sighs…dreams of fertilizer brands)

2 Likes

Actually, there are third trimester abortions. They’re done exclusively to protect the health of the mother, OR because the fetus is unviable and either would not survive birth or would suffer terribly. And yes, a constitutional ban on them would be a horrific thing, not to mention being a slippery slope.

I don’t live in Nebraska either, but I don’t want the vulnerable people who do live there to be subject to the problems that an extreme conservative would cause them. As the saying goes, “all politics are local”, and what your local politicians do can be a much bigger and more immediate problem than what the feds do. (For instance, Nestle isn’t going to feds in order to buy up local water supplies; that’s almost entirely being done on a local basis.)

As for Bernie vs. Hillary… all I’m doing is pointing out that most of the same people screaming about him campaigning for Heath Mello were absolutely fine with him campaigning for HRC, despite her problematic views on abortion.

2 Likes

That’s why I call Mrs darr my better half.
Sounds to me like you have a great lady.
And yeah, Mesa, AZ is about as red as is possible. Even for Arizona. I’m glad I’m 120 miles south. In the relatively centrist enclave of Tucson.

4 Likes

I’ve never found any rabid pro-lifers who have considered adoption

I have. Not only have they considered it, they’ve done it.

2 Likes

They aren’t technically abortions and should not be referred to in that manner because that is what the anti choice people scream about constantly.

I know what the procedure is for and what it entails.

You still want to make this about Hillary and her abortion stance and I’m not talking about a comparison or who I supported. I am talking about right now and what I perceive as a disturbing trend in the populist tea party Democrats.

4 Likes

Last comment I will make.

The absolute solution to abortion is clear realistic education at an early age and readily available birth control. I never get why the people who are so anti-abortion are so against the very things that will prevent the need for abortions - but generally speaking, they are. So it is not so much abortion as it is religion. You cannot be against sex education AND abortion, just like you can’t be pro-life but for the death penalty. But these people manage that just fine (look at Gorsuch). So the real message is, and always has been, pro Christian and anti-woman.

5 Likes

Most likely. However, the acting SG, Trent-Adams, appears to be quite decent, involved in various HIV/AIDS programs for uninsured folks, for instance. From my experience in the field, HIV researchers/caregivers are mostly top drawer.

4 Likes

It can’t both be the case that “research actually shows” a correlation AND that the research is being manipulated by lobbyists to not show a correlation.

I could probably handle someone having an opinion different from mine, provided they brought intellectual integrity to that. But…damn woman…WTF!!

2 Likes

What a great idea! Find one of the stupidest women alive and give her a position of authority.

Does she have a sister? Let’s get her TOO!

There’s no room in the current administration for decency or for helping uninsured people with HIV/AIDS. Those people are clearly leeches on society who are preventing our captains of industry from buying an additional yacht or mistress.

Based on what passes for reasoning in this administration, I’d say that this Surgeon General needs to go.

Last year when we broke off into the ‘BERNIE’ vs ‘Hillary’ party. SOME Dems became all for one or the other and IF BY GOD one candidate believed something the other didn’t, then THAT ‘thought’ became ‘far left’ or ‘blue dog’ or something. Trying to have a discussion was difficult…

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available