Discussion: Trump Dodges Q's On Whether He's Worked For Russia, If He'll Suppress Mueller Report

1 Like

In Trumpspeak months = two days. What does that say about his short term memory?

28 Likes

ā€œI think itā€™s the most insulting thing Iā€™ve ever been asked,ā€ he said. ā€œI think itā€™s the most insulting article Iā€™ve ever had written.ā€

Thatā€™s exactly how they were answering the question two years ago, when the question was ā€œHas anybody in your campaign been in contact with any Russians?ā€

51 Likes

Have you ever worked for Russia?
I believe the answer to the question is ā€œNOā€.
Does he say that?
NO.

64 Likes

ā€œI havenā€™t actually left the White House in months,ā€ Trump said at one point, apparently forgetting that heā€™d toured the border just two days earlier, on Thursday.

Everything you need to know about this interview can be found in his ability to lie at will even when he doesnā€™t have to. Heā€™s sick in the head. Call it what you will but heā€™s simply unfit for the office of president.

36 Likes

It is curious to me that he feels that he needs to dodge these questions instead of just taking his usual option of simply lying through his teeth (or his fingers).

50 Likes

Lies of omission, especially when asked directly of him, are lies as well.

26 Likes

Exactly. Shouldnā€™t a "no collusion " have been the go-to there?

26 Likes

Maya Wiley reminded folks that Trump received security briefings from Aug 2016 - Nov 2016, in which USIC officials most likely informed him of Russian attacks against the US elections systems. She mentioned that Trump never told the FBI or other USIC about any of the contacts his campaign had with the Russians. That point has been raised before.

However, thereā€™s another point which Iā€™ve raised periodically that should be considered. Did Trump use those briefings to tip the Russians off as to what USIC knew and didnā€™t know about the Russian election conspiracy and interference campaign?

The Steele Dossier reports that the Russians and the Trump campaign rapidly recalibrated their strategy and cooperation protocols following Manafortā€™s departure from the campaign in Aug 2016. This is when Cohen re-emerged as the key intermediary between Trump and the Russians. What if that recalibration happened not simply or even because of Manafortā€™s departure, but also because of new information that Trump himself learned from the security briefings that he had just started to receive?

That might fit a general description of espionage and perhaps even in law (maybe fitting 18 USC 793 Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information, or 18 USC 794 - Gathering or Delivering Defense Information to Aid Foreign Government?). At any rate, taking information from a classified briefing and informing the identified enemy/bad actor/target of what the US govā€™t knows feels very ā€˜treasonyā€™ and should be able to fit into some federal crime whether it be a big name one like ā€˜espionageā€™ or another one like ā€˜conspiracy against the USā€™. I would love for prosecutors to troll Trump by hitting him with a FARA charge (that he was an undeclared foreign agent for the Russians and didnā€™t tell Loretta Lynch as required).

69 Likes

An amusing cartoon, but far too much brain matter, even with the wall.

20 Likes

It is almost as if he just doesnā€™t want people talking about these particular issues at all . . . or maybe exactly as if he just doesnā€™t want people talking about these particular issues at all. (It may slightly be complicated by the fact that at this point we have a lot of details, verifiable details, that make his simple denials somewhat harder to support, at least for those of us who still have and enjoy the use of our brains.)

15 Likes

and dodged a question on whether he would try to prevent special counsel Robert Muellerā€™s report on Russian election meddling from being made public.

I donā€™t claim to know how that little dance between OSC, DoJ, the Executive Branch and Congress works when it comes to releasing the findingsā€¦but I do know you canā€™t just tell the American people, ā€œhey, by the way, the FBI is investigating the President to see if heā€™s a Russian stoogeā€ā€¦and then leave us hanging like a chad on a Florida election ballot. No way. Plus it would be just ridiculous to see Trump run for re-election in 2020 with these allegations front and center.

25 Likes

Thereā€™s also the Iraq photo op.

34 Likes

Donā€™t put much stock in Trumpā€™s response. He often likes to ā€œdangleā€ a non-definitive statement in order to hype interest about himself by denying people closure about what heā€™s saying. Just another of his cheap tricks to keep interest focused on himself.

9 Likes

For him, ā€œleftā€ means ā€œnot being forced to do this stupid jobā€, no matter where he is.

25 Likes

This guy canā€™t even hit the softballs lobbed his way by friendly forcesā€¦

The bullshit artist is so incompetent that he does not even know when to lieā€¦

15 Likes

Trump Dodges Qā€™s On Whether Heā€™s Worked For Russia, If Heā€™ll Suppress Mueller Report

Super interesting that he was served up these direct questions from an in-his-pocket supporter, and did not answer them with a NO. I see that as pretty telling.

More immediately sinister is that William Barrā€™s hearings for AG are on tap this week. That dangerous partisan hack is probably the next Attorney General. He will, undoubtedly, do all he can to impede Muellerā€™s work.

20 Likes

well, yeah, I was thinking what he really meant is ā€œHavenā€™t been to Mar-a-largoā€.

20 Likes

Interesting points.

It would be interesting to know exactly what the IC told Trump in his intelligence briefings and what they held back. And if they planted some misinformation in there to see it it got back to the Russians.

Also, Iā€™m not sure Manafort ever really left the campaign. I donā€™t think he did. I wonder if the Russians recalibrated their attack based on polling data they may have received from Manafort, Cohen, or someone else? Iā€™m just not clear on the timing of some of the contacts that occurred between the various parties.

22 Likes

ā€œA lot of the people that arenā€™t getting their checks are letting us know, ā€˜We donā€™t care, youā€™ve got to solve the crisis at the border,ā€™ā€

Ok, thatā€™s a lie.

ā€œI think itā€™s the most insulting thing Iā€™ve ever been asked,ā€ he said. ā€œI think itā€™s the most insulting article Iā€™ve ever had written.ā€

Though his gander was up, I was wondering what he said last night.

ā€œIā€™m not keeping anything under wraps, I couldnā€™t care less.ā€

bookmarking

ā€œWell, I canā€™t tell you because I donā€™t devote too much time,ā€ Trump said, without completing the sentence.

ā€œHereā€™s the bottom line: There was no collusion.ā€

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available