Discussion: Treasury Secretary Accused Of Ethics Violation For Plugging 'LEGO Batman'

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing Mnuchin is the ā€œRatpacā€ part of Ratpac-Dune Entertainment.

8 Likes

Quickly checks Linda McMahonā€™s Twitter feed.

3 Likes

Itā€™s this kind of shit that gives the Republicans too much material for mocking Democrats. This is over the top, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Can someone go see the movie and bootleg videotape it? Then sell it for .99 on line. I will pay for your ticket.

3 Likes

How effing hard would it have been to a say ā€œAs a cabinet secretary, Iā€™m not allowed to plug any of the movies made by my former production company?ā€

13 Likes

So let me plug a great group here, Chicano Batman.
http://chicanobatman.com
More:
http://www.npr.org/2017/03/06/518412569/chicano-batman-a-sound-and-vision-that-could-only-come-from-los-angeles

2 Likes

Well I might agree, but he is the Treasury Secretary and I rather expect people in fiduciary positions to pay attention to every detail.

8 Likes

This is what happens when you appoint amateurs with no ethics training. Good grief ā€“ this was completely foreseeable. Assholes.

13 Likes

Well, Trump is plugging TV shows in his Tweets, so whatā€™s wrong here?

4 Likes

Heā€™s the ā€œDouchebag.ā€ Silent partner, so it doesnā€™t show up in the company name.

1 Like

Seeing how this week is ā€˜Mania Weekā€™, is it ok for the SBA Secretary (and a former WWE official) to advertise it on her Twitter?

Getting to point, pay to play (in this instance, officials misusing their positions) was mentioned a lot last year.

5 Likes

Worse than just hard - itā€™s unprofitable. </Ferengi>

1 Like

Oh, jeez. Isnā€™t Secretary of the Treasury of the United States enough?

2 Likes

Just attach your movie stubs to your 2016 or 2017 return for an e discount on your tax liability.

5 Likes

these guys give zero fucks.

i mean, can you imagine if a democratic administration had done (literally) 1/1000 of this shit, let alone all of it? tricorner hats would be going for $1,000 apiece on eBay. also pitchforks, torches, and cases of ammo.

6 Likes

Please. The guy knew he shouldnā€™t , and did anyway.

ā€œI am not promoting any product, but you should send all your kids to see LEGO Batman.ā€

Where exactly should our concern about corruption begin?

9 Likes

Remember when Sen. Ron Johnson got his stupid self in the news for urging people to boycott The Lego Movie, also partly financed by Mnuchin, because he thought it was anti-business propaganda? Good timesā€¦

(And in review, The Lego Movie is a genius political parable thatā€™s perfect for adults but will probably alienate children. The Lego Batman Movie is a funny enough followup that is perfect for pop-savvy kids, but will probably bore adults.)

4 Likes

Unbelievable. That swamp is ā€œdrainingā€ all rightā€¦and the runoff has been funneled into the Cabinet. This really has to stop; Trump is making Warren Harding look like an honest politician.

1 Like

Yea, I know. But this just seems like a very easy target for mockery. Maybe Iā€™m wrong and my threshold for corruption has just been recalibrated.

Edited to add:

Ok, Ok. So I jumped the gun in my critique. I didnā€™t read the article closely and I didnā€™t realize that Mnuchin actually had an interest in the company that made the movie. Iā€™m glad my Senator from Oregon is paying more attention than me.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available