Discussion: Tenn. GOPers Explain Why They Wouldn't Condemn Neo-Nazism

Complicity or cowardice? Either they agree with neo-nazis or they’re too scare of them to speak up.

4 Likes

Well put. And I agree with everything in your comment above. Trump’s ugly parade of bigotry is probably doing more for the inexorable march toward “tolerance” than its doing for the alt-right movement. And for all the racist backlash against Obama, he did more to bring America toward adoption of an positive vision of our multicultural future.

I’m thinking strictly about electoral politics. When the GOP candidates themselves show their true colors with gaffes on social issues, it may very well buoy the Democratic. And by all means, the Democrat should allow that Republican to choke on her or his own idiocy. Your senator Donnelly’s defeat of that lunatic Murdock was a perfect example of that. Same with McCaskill. But in both cases, those were, in a larger sense, quality-of-candidate issues, in which the Democrats had established themselves as serious candidates (and frankly moderate enough to be acceptable to the majority of voters in conservative states).

Most races, particularly in purple or reddish states, will be won the way Lamb won it — with an undistracted spotlight on bread-and-butter issues: healthcare (and not necessarily a pledge for single payer), Social Security/Medicare, education, consumer protection (esp from banks), perhaps minimum wage.

As a Georgian (born and bred), I must admit to wincing a bit when serious statewide candidates talk about things like blowing Robert E. Lee & company off the face of Stone Mountain (as did likely Dem gubernatorial nominee Stacey Abrams). Of suppose I agree with that solution, but a) it’s not going to happen, and b) to the extent that issues of race are raised by Democrats, independents get distracted from what will actually move them to vote Democratic (economic issues).

I know I’m kind of rambling and getting all hypothetical on a somewhat off-topic point. I’m not criticizing anyone for pointing out this ridiculous situation in the Tennessee legislature. But when it comes to the election, I’m just saying that I don’t want Democratic or media criticism of this to overshadow Bredesen’s message of economic fairness and mature steady judgment (versus Marsha “The Crackpot” Blackburn)

That said, if it comes out that The Crackpot went to a Klan rally, I’m all for the media inundating her campaign with questions.

10 Likes

A Blackburn rally and a Klan rally are two different things?

3 Likes

Shelbyville, huh?

Living in east tn allows me to see daily why. It is their constituency

3 Likes

Teatroll Rosetta Stone: “Sorry, but I need their votes.”

3 Likes

…With a secret ritual chamber in the basement for human sacrifices.

4 Likes

Yes, I read the article looking for the explanation promised by the headline — and there wasn’t one.

4 Likes

Now, now. Don’t be too hasty in condemning Hoosier legislators. They did pass a bill this session banning eyeball tattoos that was signed into law.

6 Likes

Emphasis added:

In a Friday email to TPM, Rep. Bob Ramsey, one of three Republicans on the State Government Subcommittee, said they objected to language that would ask law enforcement to consider the groups “domestic terrorist organizations.”

The horror.

6 Likes

This is of a piece with the news that Bannon loves Mussolini. It’s time for the mainstream media to start calling these Republicans what they so obviously are: Fascists.

10 Likes

TN GOPers: How can the be terrorists… they’re white.

3 Likes

Oh, puhleeze. Better to have just shut up and taken the grief. Is the GOP scraping the bottom of the “I don’t know what I’m doing” barrel to find these guys? Optics are bad, man, bad.

3 Likes

Satire.

1 Like

…and orgies

Awesome in the worst way.

2 Likes

This is the perfect end title card on an ad that I know will never get produced. Still…

1 Like

And then Abraham said unto the Lord of Hosts, “And what if you find 5 righteous people in the Tennessee legislature—”

“Let’s not fool ourselves, Abe,” replieth the Lord with a universal sigh.

5 Likes

True. And some of those folks counter protesting are Republicans. The time has come where we have found some common ground. We are sick of the hate. The GOP has bitten off more than they can chew by supporting Nazi’s and KKK.

5 Likes

They can’t condemn the Nazis, as others have pointed out, they can’t afford to lose votes.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available