Discussion: Tenn. GOPers Explain Why They Wouldn't Condemn Neo-Nazism

If Ezra Gerstein ever borrowed your jumper cables and neglected to return them, well, you’d understand. Just sayin’.

1 Like

Wait … Calling Nazis terrorists was the deal breaker? Oh my.

7 Likes

Watch in real time.

13 Likes

If you’re explaining why you can’t denounce Nazis and the KKK, you’re losing.

16 Likes

I bet Tennessee law enforcement would go hard after Muslim Nazis. There’s that.

3 Likes

Well I, for one, will NOT be putting on my blue suede shoes and flying to Nashville any time soon. Or ever. Harumph!!!

3 Likes

It must be because blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc. are the Real Racists.

3 Likes

I’ll just spell it out: they are White and vote GOP. Full stop.

9 Likes

Showing your color I see.

7 Likes

They appear to be digging their hole deeper.

At the same time, we should recognize issues like this won’t swing voters for Democrats in places like Tennessee (e.g. Bredesen for Senate, or Donnelly, McCaskill, Heitkamp or Donnelly for that matter). The GOP uses these kinds of disputes in the conservative areas to paint a picture of a Democratic Party that’s more concerned about racial issues than about bread-and-butter issues. They don’t have to say it explicitly, but they are in effect getting Democrats off the winning economic message that draws independents.

Two caveats: Racism may be more salient in a place like Mississippi, where 37 percent of the voting population is African-American — especially if KKK sympathizer Chris McDaniel emerges as the leading Republican for Cochran’s Senate seat.

7 Likes

Well the only problem I see here in this whole deal is:
It’s TENNESSEE, Expect no more and always expect exactly what it represents since they think they won the civil war.

2 Likes

Spot on – most modern southern Republicans are descendants of migrants from the Dixiecrats. If you look closely, they and the people they’re being asked to condemn haven’t always been that far in apart.
In fact, it might’ve once been fair to call the targets of this amendment ‘the action arm’ of the party.

4 Likes

Last fall there were two white nationalist events planned for the same Saturday - about 30 miles apart (I think one was in Murfreesburro) with one event in the am and another in the afternoon. Interesting coverage, including talking to locals who came out to counter protest. Varied ages. Most said things like: “We wanted to make sure that people know that this (pointing to the white nationalists marching) does not represent who we are.” The turnout for the counterprotest was much larger than the protesters who seemed to not be locals. After confusion at the end of the first event, the white nationalists met in a park, and decided to call off the second event - where a whole other set of locals had already gathered to send a different message.

I think times are changing. Not everywhere and not with everyone. But there is a sense of decency that seems to be striking people who have been apolitical.

Look I am in Indiana. A number of years ago a self-proclaimed leader of the Klan was making noise up north. There was an incident when he quasi kidnapped a reporter (? I don’t recall the details.) Most people were deeply embarrassed by it happening here.

So while this state lost it’s mind in the Trump campaign - remember that 8 years earlier the state went for Obama, and two years before that the state flipped a GOP dominated majority of congressional representatives to a Dem dominated majority of congressional representatives. I think we still have a lot of purple potential. And what I watched following that Saturday (granted I watched over the internet) in Tennessee - with locals coming out to show that the nazis didn’t represent the town - I think there is more purple to be found in a lot of places that appear to be deep crimson red.

14 Likes

This seems to be the pattern all over the country. I have not heard of one ratwing or White Supremacist demonstration that wasn’t met by at least half again as many counter protesters. Apparently Americans are not as interested in becoming Nazis as the stupid Nazis thought we were.

12 Likes

I understand Tennessee is going to be issuing a new license plate its latest slogan “Follow Me To Bigotry”

3 Likes

It’s as if the sideshow of indecency emanating from Trump is stirring a counter sense of common decency in much of the public. I think it is beyond politics, and as long as the GOP keeps pushing their deadhorse President and his allies, more and more folks will do more than just find their sense of decency, they will act (vote) on it.

7 Likes

I believe that inasmuch as we keep seeing it happen.

3 Likes

Losing your soul.

6 Likes

You mean the same reason POTUS mentioned good people on both sides after white supremacists attacked and killed people in Charlottesville? FIFY.

6 Likes

I hope these sick Nazi-lovers in Tennessee at least are consistent, and try to remove all the memorials in the state honoring the American Veterans of World War II. Because, obviously, if you’re a Nazi-Lover like these guys, you’re against everything Americans fought and died for in WWII. You can’t have it both ways. Nazism in 1941/Nazism in 2018… same sick poison.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available