Discussion: Tenn. GOPers Explain Why They Wouldn't Condemn Neo-Nazism

3 Likes

Summary: It’s just they way we were inbred. We can’t help it… Deal with it…

22 Likes

“These subjects seem simple but have initiated some of the most bitter decisiveness [sic] and debates I have ever witnessed.”Ramsey added that he and the other Republican lawmakers, Reps. Bill Sanderson and Bud Hulsey, were urging Clemmons to consider changes to the language of the bill in order to secure its passage.

I read that as an admission. These terms hit too close to home. Or perhaps, this language would alienate too many GOP voters. Or in more familiar language “There are good people on both sides”.

Yes. The GOP in Tennessee supports and is supported by neo Nazis and domestic terrorist groups.

48 Likes

Huh, that’s interesting.

Tennessee, the fourth state to declare itself in Rebellion and at War with United State over slavery, June 8, 1861- doesn’t know anything about White Supremacy?

That’s a real neat trick.

25 Likes

They can not afford to lose those votes.

26 Likes

“Under pressure for killing a resolution denouncing white nationalism and neo-Nazism, Tennessee GOP lawmakers are belatedly offering an explanation.”

My money’s on, “Because we hate Jews”.

32 Likes

To name it and to condemn it would be to name and condemn themselves. Ain’t gonna happen.

21 Likes

As the Tennessean first reported, the resolution was “met with silence” from the trio of Republican lawmakers when it was brought before the panel on Wednesday.

Silence that spoke volumes.

25 Likes

And yet they wonder why AAs vote against them at about a 90% clip. And other minorities as well. They’re the opposite of an open tent party - a closed country club for whites only.

24 Likes

Refresh my memory here. If there’s some kind of resolution that you support in general, but a few of the words aren’t quite what you want, isn’t there this procedure called offering an amendment that allows you to try and get the wording changed to be more to your liking?

17 Likes

Let me get this straight. A hate group that has an association with acts of terror…and you don’t want to call them a terrorist organization because why? It’s ok, I already know the answer. In fact, I don’t even need to say it. We all know why. We all know.

25 Likes

That John Scopes was certainly on to something. I would bet that many of those same legislators are still grumbling about him.

6 Likes

“Just because a group burns crosses on a lawn or paints swastikas on a synagogue don’t meant they’re terrorists. Maybe they’re just rambunctious patriots exercising their right to free speech,” Ramsey exclaimed.

16 Likes

Tennessee lawmakers were fearful they’d alienate various equestrian clubs.

11 Likes

Tenn: You can fix this, you know.

Run for office- and run FOR something! Don’t just run against Trump. You’ll either be preaching to the choir or confirming, in some people’s minds, that ‘the elites’ are out to get their man.

This site, https://www.runforoffice.org/, allows you to enter your ZIP code and see what offices are available to you and the filing window for that office. They also have a few video short-courses on running a campaign. In my state you file for office during a 1-week period in May.

Become a Precinct Committee Officer, sometimes it’s a Ward officer. Meet your neighbors and get out the vote. Find good citizens willing to run for office.

Run for School Board. Make sure Civics is being properly taught. Think a majority of America knows how government works? Just 26% of eligible voters in America voted for Trump, and half of all voters stayed home last November. HALF! Today’s 10-year olds will be voting for President in 8 years. Make sure they’re prepared.

Run for Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, Borough Assembly. And get on your Planning Commission.

Run for State Legislature or Congress. The next census is in 2020 when we’ll redraw Congressional Districts. Make them fair and open. Trump is ALREADY trying to rig the census- talk about ‘voter fraud’!

Register people to vote. If you need to help people overcome the GOP-led voter-run-around campaign help them do that. This site, https://www.aauw.org/resource/organize-a-voter-registration-drive/, has a how-to on organizing a voter registration drive. Or even sitting outside Wal Mart with a folding chair and a card table. Yes, that’s the American Association of University Women.

And while we’re here organize a League of Women Voters chapter in your community if you don’t already have one. Fair, honest and above board. Democracy functions better with them involved.

Civics, civility and civilization all share the same roots. Get crackin’!

4 Likes

Question:

The Tennessee GOP (2012) once condemned a Republican Governor for refusing to fire a Gay employee and a Muslim employee for the following reasons:

“openly homosexuals to make policy decisions”

and

"One of the latest Executive Service Employees has included Samar Ali, an expert in Shariah Compliant Finance which is one of the many ways Islamic terrorism is funded. " [Emp. mine]

Does anyone know if any of those cats were in on the current decision?

https://thinkprogress.org/tennessee-republicans-condemn-their-governor-for-having-gay-and-muslim-employees-d4afceae6d67/

10 Likes

Bingo!

3 Likes

State legislatures are clown shows. Indiana bailed on several measures when a midnight mandated deadline passed a couple days ago, ending the current session. On key piece of legislation that was buried covered school safety issues. You know, protecting children.

However, time was made to be sure Sunday sales of alcohol became legal.

Gotta know your priorities.

7 Likes

"Because we hate Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, and all other brown people and all who who are of non-inbred European descent."

There, fixed it.

8 Likes

Evangelical whites only.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available