Discussion: Stanford Victim Delivers Powerful Statement To Her Rapist In Court <div class="story-meta-footer">

1 Like

Powerful statement.

The rapist should have gotten the 6 year sentence—at hard labor.

28 Likes

… a longer sentence would have a “severe impact” on Turner.

We certainly wouldn’t want to inconvenience the dear boy. He needs to be able to put this unpleasantness behind him, and get on with his life.

23 Likes

…It will not ‘impact’ the judge or the rapist. ‘She should not have attended a party while vagina’ed.’…

13 Likes

Awful thing for the judge to say even if out of context from (what I assume) were the judge’s mentions of the severe impact of the crime on the victim. Sounds like the judge gave less weight than he should have to deterrence of others from committing similar crimes and community condemnation.

10 Likes

Shoot rapists. They are irredeemable.

The luck of the privileged athletic white boy.

23 Likes

We have rethink the justice system. He had three felony counts and was found guilty on all three. As she stated that’s 12x3=36 times the jurors voted for conviction.
We can be glib, but please don’t. This should anger and enrage you.
She really laid it out, the pain of not just the attack but the aftermath of going through judicial system. She was strong, strong enough to go through these punishments of cross examination. But I want you to think about the other women who weren’t strong enough to deal with this crap. Those men are still out there. Those rape kits are pilling up and not being tested. Those are the fears all women, here and in other countries have to tamp down, put in the back of minds and try to go about our business. This is the crap women have, and then to have some a$$hole tell us " Smile, you’d be so pretty if you just smiled."

52 Likes

Lawyers for every rapist in the state are going to be taking this as a maximum sentence from now on.

3 Likes

This just makes me sick to my stomach. The level of cognitive dissonance on display by a sitting JUDGE who decided to give this kid a slap on the wrist is just utterly unfathomable. Just as we found out with the Affluenza Kid, these privileged white boys often end up turning into real monsters. Six months is an absolute JOKE for what he did. Hell, six YEARS isn’t enough.

The message being sent here? Make sure you’re rich, male, and white, and you too will get away with murder in America.

31 Likes

What a strange coincidence that it was some Swedish guys who came to her help. Maybe it hints at a broader truth: There exists a rape campus culture in the US that I don’t think has an equivalence in Scandinavian countries. Which should give us hope that this culture can be defeated and changed for the better (and no, alcohol does not factor in).

21 Likes

Shameful. That’s all I’ve got.

11 Likes

Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky said in handing down the punishment that a longer sentence would have a “severe impact” on Turner.

I think I’m vomiting.

13 Likes

The picture is of the rapist, not the victim, btw.
TPM needs to get a picture captioning system. Something, anything.

19 Likes

Yes, teach your kids to be vigilant, don’t drink to excess, girls be wary and watchful.
But, by God, teach your son to not be rapists. How are boys and men brought up to believe this is in any way acceptable?

19 Likes

At least three women I’ve known were victims of some form of sexual abuse or violence. That’s that I know of. It’s one of the worst things one person can do to another. The damage never goes away.

And that part about the drawing of the bicycles. Been sitting here for quite some time, just trying to get on with my afternoon.

21 Likes

This is so simple, and so spot on.

12 Likes

And Brock Turner isn’t even a Mexican!!

6 Likes

Trump: Spot on. By extension, whites just can never rape. No point even having a trial. Liberals like big govt.

6 Likes

That picture is Brock Turmer

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available