Discussion: Spicer On AARP Concerns: We're Not Trying To Accomodate 'Special Interests'

I’ve been having trouble finding a definitive answer on whether the Republican replacement keeps the Medicare Part D patch, where the so-called “Donut Hole” is filled by a provision in the ACA. I’m guessing that it remains filled?

Edited to add: Ah, finally found it. Politico had it in a tip sheet:

The bill also doesn’t touch the ACA’s closure of the Medicare Part D prescription drug donut hole.

1 Like

Unless they give us a big donation…

What? Spicer dumping on the old farts? Who does he think voted for Trump?

2 Likes

He’s bemoaning the fact that the evil government has taken away the choice of dying for lack of access to basic healthcare.

Good god. There isn’t a single person on Medicaid expansion who doesn’t think it’s the greatest thing that ever happened to them. Fortunately for Trump, most of them will never hear about this. And also fortunately for them, an awful lot of them are people who, at some level, feel like they didn’t “earn” and thus don’t “deserve” the benefit and believe with all their little hearts that there’s no possible way for the government to pay for it forever. They expect to lose the benefit because they buy into the “the government is broke” idiocy.

4 Likes

Not trying…because accommodating the wealthy with tax break after tax break is effortless for Trumpp.

I can’t wait to see who shows up at the next Republican Congresspeeps’s round of town halls or on t.v. being interviewed when the town halls are not held.

1 Like

From WaPo. I hope it’s his voters who turn out.

It’s plausible that the GOP bill would hit a lot of Trump voters. A new Kaiser Family Foundation analysis concludes that older, lower-income people will likely see a loss of financial support for insurance — many of whom are probably Trump voters. Non-college whites in the Rust Belt states that flipped to Trump saw a big drop in the uninsured rate under the ACA. Meanwhile, the GOP bill would mean cuts to Medicaid over time and potentially a phasing-out of the expansion, something that might also hit many Trump voters.

7 Likes

Interesting that you brought up veterans because someone on my Reps page made the comment that veterans shouldn’t have to go to the VA to get care, they should be able to go to any doctor near them. I so wanted to point out that veterans by and large like the care they get from the VA, and if a veteran lives a distance from the closest VA then it’s his/her own damn fault, they need to take some responsibility for their own lives. I didn’t because I don’t think people in my district understand the multi layered snark in that comment.

2 Likes

@ronbyers there is an entire alt-universe of “conservative” analogs to most of the major organizations on which the Trumpire can call for fire suppot … like the AMAC (con version of AARP) for example :smh:

I wonder what the effect on Republicans would be if we all surrounded them and started to do the Time Warp?

1 Like

Spicer’s not old—he’s around the age of Breitbart in his prime—but being a press spokesman is a younger man’s job.
It helps to be good looking, smooth, quick on your feet. Two out of three is ok, but zero out of three doesn’t cut it.

4 Likes

He’s putting on weight, right?

Ha. Rogue Potus says Spicer stress eats a ton before briefings.
Also, this:

3 Likes

Americans have access to emergency rooms for critical care and their choice of pocket knives and iodine for everything else. God bless TrumpCare!

1 Like

Does the AMAC have 38 million members? I think not. There is apparent power and then there is real power.

Good to have confirmation. I thought he went from full to double in the first 3 weeks, but now I’m beginning to see the third chin appear.

For all those people who are on Medicaid in particular, they don’t have choices anymore

The true Republican soul is really coming to the surface now. They are arguing with a straight face that those who achieved Medicaid coverage under the ACA have been harmed(!). They were better off with nothing. More “freedom”, I guess.

And what happened to Trump’s “great insurance for everybody?”

1 Like

Not trying to accommodate “special interests?” That is hilarious!!!

Spicer On AARP Concerns: We’re Not Trying To Accomodate ‘Special Interests’

One source I checked said that the AARP has about 38,000,000 members. Obviously all of them are of voting age and I’m sure nearly all of them are legally eligible to be voters. Nearly 38,000,000 voters is one big special interest group, wouldn’t you think?

Yes, there is.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available