Discussion: Sign Language-Fluent Koko The Gorilla Dies At 46

1 Like

RIP, Koko. I’ve followed this beautiful girl since she was a baby.

8 Likes

Waiting for Ivanka to make a tone deaf tweet lamenting this tremendous loss.

2 Likes

I think she had a good life, or as good a life as a gorilla can have these days. RIP.

Also, this is why outside cats are a bad idea.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Didn’t realize that’s how All Ball died.

4 Likes

She was really amazing - not just the communication, but the emotion and kindness she showed toward humans and other animals.

And:
"She appeared in many documentaries and twice in National Geographic. The gorilla’s 1978 cover featured a photo that the animal had taken of herself in a mirror."

Taking a selfie before selfies were even a thing.

4 Likes

The story of Koko and Dr. Patterson is wonderful in itself and in its implications of cross-species awareness. I didn’t know that Koko was still alive, but I celebrate her long and remarkable life.

2 Likes

And yet the far less articulate Donald J. Trump still lives. There is no God.

3 Likes
8 Likes

By far a smarter and more empathetic Homininae than the one currently occupying the Oval Trailer.

RIP Koko…

2 Likes

If you’ve never seen the video of her and Robin Williams, go find it on YouTube. It’s amazingly wonderful.

2 Likes

More likely Melania comes off her plane in a gorilla suit ala Dietrich in Blonde Venus.

Another person posted: “At least Koko can finally be reunited with All Ball.”

She might also get to meet Nim Chimpsky.

2 Likes

Re: “outside cats”
Depends on where they live.

1 Like
3 Likes

My undergrad roommate got to work at the Gorilla Foundation during school, mostly with Michael.

We didn’t talk much about what he saw there; most likely, an undergrad wouldn’t be getting very interesting assignments. Mostly, he would come home and start pulling clothes off, complaining of smelling like gorilla piss. Damn. Gorilla Piss: For Untamed Man was going to be the foundation of my future billion-dollar empire in fragrances.

There was one time when he reported a bit of a fright at the foundation. Michael had become fascinated with the pattern or color of a visiting woman’s dress and grabbed a handful for a closer look. The dress didn’t tear, so the woman was pinned to the bars and about as frightened as you would expect. It all ended okay, though I don’t remember any details. Gorilla strength is no joke.

If my roommate ever shared his nipples with Koko, he never said anything to me about it. I doubt Koko would have been impressed anyway.

Any successful communication with animals helps us feel less alone as a species on this planet.

I don’t have to believe in gorilla heaven to smile at the thought that Koko and All Ball are sharing it together.

2 Likes

Me sad (

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available