Discussion: ‘Scumbags’: Conservative Super-Lawyer Blasts Schiff, Media Over NRA-Russia Story

Safe travels…hope it is a relatively long (but comfortable, of course) flight.

4 Likes

Yep – people with nothing to hide do not rant and rave like that.

16 Likes

Sounds like this Okie “Super” Lawyer has a lot of kryptonite exposure…

In 1984, Cleta Deatherage married Dale Mitchell, who was the son of all-star Brooklyn Dodgers left-fielder Dale Mitchell. In the early 1980s, the FBI began investigating Dale Mitchell for banking malpractice,[8] and in 1992 he was convicted of five felony counts of conspiracy to defraud, misapplying bank funds and making false statements to banks, and ordered to pay $3 million in restitution.[9] According to Mitchell, this is what convinced her that government had grown too big.[10]

54 Likes

In a Friday email to TPM

Excellent work, Ms. Kirkland and TPM.

Thank you.

22 Likes

hahahahahaha She certainly has experience in fraud, misapplication of funds, etc. This is too funny.

27 Likes

So Russians get free membership? They’re subsidized so to speak by Americans?

14 Likes

“And when I say ‘zero’, I mean there is a certain amount of cannibalism in the British Navy. Clearly, more than we are prepared to admit.”

46 Likes

Trump appoints the first ever Secretary of Presidential Images, Texts, and Videos.

8 Likes

I came here to write this and you beat me to it.

4 Likes

I’ll see your “scumbags” and raise you one “fuck you”.

17 Likes

Awww, isn’t she precious. Bless her little heart.

12 Likes

Read her statement carefully. She stopped being involved in the NRA five years ago. She has no knowledge of any wrongdoing in 2016, and in 2012 the NRA was not involved with the Russians. (That seems plausible and probably true). Another way to read it is “Please nobody subpoena me.”

Once she gets into “zero chance” statements, that’s speculation and opinion (by her own admission). She’s not going to trash her old org. It may be that she expressed concern in some non-lawyer/non-board setting, which she now denies. That may or may not be true.
The article doesn’t prove which is true one way or the other. There are lots of conservative lawyers that don’t lie. It could be that she’s being less than completely transparent, but I wouldn’t take that as fact based on what’s in this article.

16 Likes

Must be, if it’s latin…

4 Likes

The “lady” doth protest too much.

5 Likes

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Except maybe a need for Mueller’s gentle attentions.

4 Likes

You sure she’s not Roy Cohn in drag?

9 Likes

Speaking of Scumbags, whatever happened to Stephen “The Janitor Hater” Miller ?
I haven’t seen his happy face for a long time…

8 Likes

So, read her response, and my take-away is that she was totally convinced that the Russians are influencing the election.

5 Likes

wow she’s totally believable, especially since she has no idea what’s been going on at the NRA since 2012

oh, and super lawyer, your bias is showing

here are some questions, of the “5 million” NRA members, how many are native russian speakers? and how much have these russians contributed to the NRA? How does the NRA segregate russian member money from the NRA election funds? If there is no “there” there, then NRA should welcome an audit to prove their patriotism, and not plead the equivalent of the 5th

7 Likes

We get a bad rap for that. In reality, we choose the words we want and whether they were good choices usually ends up being decided by somebody else way down the road. It sucks.

But I thought her phrasing of point (b) was interesting. There is zero chance that the NRA was involved w/Russian money because they’ve always been meticulous “about what money is spent for what.” That doesn’t really deny that they got money from the NRA, does it. It’s just her speculation as to what they spent it on since she hadn’t been involved with the NRA for 4 years at the time. Also, it’s quite possible that the NRA was “meticulous” about only spending Russian money to get Trump elected, which seems advisable since that was what Russia wanted and we know that pissing Putin off is bad for your health.

16 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available