Discussion: Ryan And Meadows Erupt Into Shouting Match On House Floor Over Immigration

Because I must breath the air they expel, does this present any peril to me? :smile:

2 Likes

@kitty

Yesterdayā€™s news but Iā€™m still feeling a warm glow because of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-gop-strategist-abandons-his-party-and-calls-for-the-election-of-democrats/2018/06/20/b3f9fbd4-74c3-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html?utm_term=.fa7b37cfb5fe&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

2 Likes

For now it feels good. But will this sort of thing lead to a more conservative Democratic Party? How many Republicans did Nixon and Ronny Ray-guns send fleeing to the Democratic Party and then we ended up with Bill Clinton (DLC) instead of Jerry Brown (actual Democrat?)

Steve Schmidt is funny and sharp but he is still quite conservative. He, along with some other Republicans, is smart enough to see that 45* is destroying his beloved GOP. I think these disaffected Republicans should go off and create their own party.

1 Like

I know that.

I was just using the picture to illustrate the ā€œJack-Booted Thugsā€ stealing children from their parents and to point out the HYPOCRISY of the Republicans who called the Elian Gonzalez case the worst human rights abuse they had ever seen since Auschwitz, but are silent on this current issue.

1 Like

None of this was clear to me.

1 Like

Only one solution: Thunderdome.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never been optimistic about the viability of a third party, no matter its makeup. They tend to act as spoilers (Nader, Perot), and its candidate will never be elected president because that candidate will never get the 270 or so ECā€™s needed. Weā€™ve seen what a third party did in Maine, it brought them LePage, elected by a minority, and even they have gone to ranked choice which is whatā€™s used here.

Rather than checking a box for just one candidate, voters rank all candidates in order of preference. If a candidate earns a majority of the votes, he or she wins. If not, the candidate with the fewest first-choice votes is eliminated, and his or her ballots get redistributed to whomever those voters ranked second. If another round is needed, the process continues, eliminating the candidate with the next fewest votes, until one candidate has a majority.

4 Likes

The article originally identified Ryan as a Democrat from Wisconsin. They corrected it.

3 Likes

And a talking donkey. Donā€™t forget about that. (Numbers 22:28)

According to Politico, it is unclear exactly what Meadowsā€™ anger stemmed fromā€¦

Itā€™s quite clear to me. Meadows is an angry white man who sees the day when he and his fellows become a minority in this country and they are running scared. Heā€™s a Tea Party nut who managed to win a seat in Congress; letā€™s see to it that he and his cronies are defeated next November.

3 Likes

I myself am partial to bears, given that I am follicle-challenged [2 Kings 2:23-24]

1 Like

Gentlemen, gentlemen, canā€™t you both agree to keeping a traitor to the American people in power? Whereā€™s the spirit of greed?

1 Like

Well said Sir or Madame.

1 Like

Feelinā€™ good was easy when Barry sang the bluesā€¦

2 Likes

false equivalency got us into this nightmare

1 Like

Donā€™t be a mean-spirited moron. The Republicans are doing enough in that area already. They donā€™t need any help in making tribalisms.

3 Likes

Canā€™t agree with you here.

Iā€™d far rather see conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans and get some good things done (like it used to work), than the current ideological idiocy and get no good things done. (Or if they are, overturned when the Other Party gets in power ā€“ Iā€™m tired of Americans playing Guelphs and Ghibellines.)

3 Likes

Alternatively:

ā€œHow much taller does she have to get before I can take her furniture shopping?ā€

1 Like

I think Kevin McCarthy, once considered too dumb for the job, is now the heir apparent when Ryan scuttles out the door.

1 Like

Iā€™ve often thought that you donā€™t just need a third party but a third and fourth party,ideally two on each side of the spectrum. Actual fully realized partyā€™s not factions within a party.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available