Discussion: Reports: Trump Admin Considering Draft Executive Order To Withdraw From NAFTA

From who? The Bernie Bros would love it as would Sanders himself, and Trump’s mouth-breathers would love it, and I see no spine even in the GOP Congress to push back on this.

2 Likes

No.

2 Likes

5 Likes

So exactly what set of rules goes into effect under the (questionable) assumption that trump can actually do this? What happens to all the goods currently under contract to cross the border?

This is why, in general, before abrogating one agreement you have another one ready to go.

2 Likes

That settlles it, those two boys will screw it up, each time…

2 Likes

I suppose I’m lucky then. Mine has only gotten better with age.

Now if I could only say the same thing about my body…

6 Likes

Our so-called President believes that he is uniquely empowered to do whatever he damned well pleases.

3 Likes

Cue lawsuits from companies in the US that will be harmed by any attempt to negate NAFTA. Of course it won’t hurt Trump’s wealth.

2 Likes

Bannon drafted the order?

The Judicial branch would like a word with you…

3 Likes

Once again Trump is going to do the only thing he is reliable at: “Pulling out of something early”.

3 Likes

This fucking incompetent scumbag and the attendant bullshit is just grating on me in the worst way. None of this is how you operate a government, much less dealing with multinational treaties/agreements.

God, I hate these people. All of them.

5 Likes

Cattle ranchers are about to hang themselves.

2 Likes

According to the business section of the NYT today, the ONLY way Trump’s promises can be kept is if inflation goes waaay up. This would be a first step.

By the way, can a president single handedly withdraw from a signed multilateral treaty, passed by Congress? Is this legal?

3 Likes

Good, let them. Another group of assholes who deserve it since they voted for it.

Edit: these people are already getting screwed over, anyway. But somehow, they’ll keep coming up with “4” when you present them with 2 here and 2 there.

I have the feeling he wants to announce this, then be unable to execute it. Republicans across the land with sitll believe he got rid of it, when he didn’t. That’s his modus operandi.

6 Likes

Lets see if this doesn’t go the way of the Carl Vinson.

3 Likes

And most ignorant Americans (but I repeat myself) who firmly believe in “zero-sum economics” would applaud and cheer for it, ignorant of how prices have been held down by international trade. Of course they think that “them durn f’uriners took mah job!” when in fact it was automation and technological advances (internet anyone?) and the pressure on publicly traded companies by Wall Street to increase their stock prices and decrease their dividends that “took their jobs”.
Just ask the buggy whip and saddle makers how their business was impacted by the advent of the automobile and air travel and those that used to work in the Retail Mall industries how their jobs were impacted by the internet and online-shopping.

3 Likes

Really not in favor of unleashing a geopolitical and economic catastrophe of the first order to punish a few stupid people for being stupid.

3 Likes

That’s already, happened! It’s been accreting since February! Cattle ranchers in good ole Tejas have been the first to feel this.

1 Like

As an American living in Canada, I look forward to the special Mexico-Canada deal that will emerge to send all the limes and avocados up here.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available