Discussion: Reports: Trump Admin Considering Draft Executive Order To Withdraw From NAFTA

Enjoy inflation, American friends!

13 Likes

Trump: NAFTA is no longer needed as Trump Wall is getting build for free. We will build everything and consume it, in the confines of Trump Wall.

2 Likes

The sick thing is, too many dumbfuck Sanders supporters would cheer it.

22 Likes

Oh, farmers and food producers in general are just going to love that. America exports 23% of it’s corn to…wait for it…Mexico.

14 Likes

Well, looks like Mexico will get all that Canadian cheese and softwood lumber.

21 Likes

Can an executive order nullify a duly signed & ratified treaty?

8 Likes

The American economy is in the hands of someone who had bankruptcy after bankruptcy and a very long line of failed products and outright scams.

I’m up for a drink, anyone want to join me?

15 Likes

The question of if the POTUS can do this unilaterally, is far from clear.

The American President’s Power over NAFTA

13 Likes

How many things can Donnie fuck up at once? Everything he gropes…

2 Likes

Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro, the head of Trump’s newly formed National Trade Council, drafted the executive order “in close cooperation”.

So the US will join CISFTA?

Jill Stein will be thrilled!

10 Likes

You must be out on that rock in the Pacific, because you’re way behind the rest of us…

16 Likes

Yep, and every goddamn one of those obese Trump-loving corn and soybean and alfalfa farmers in the Midwest will soon be front and center on CNN moaning “I really didn’t think Trump was serious about repealing NAFTA…”

The upside of NAFTA repeal is for those Mexican agricultural communities that, prior to NAFTA, were able to survive on raising corn for the local Mexican markets. It was more or less subsistence agriculture that wasn’t going to make anybody rich, but it was means of self-employment that had been in place since the colonial era, if not before. NAFTA directly led to the importation of gigantic amounts of American agribusiness corn at prices that the small Mexican farmers couldn’t compete with, with the result that hundreds of small villages were economically devastated to the point that all the males of working age—and plenty of women—left these places for cities, especially those along border that offered employment in a new booming sector: the drug trade with the US.

20 Likes

I’m torn. Part of me wants to see how those voters loving that idea, both on the right and the left, would react when they find they are actually and royally screwed. :expressionless:

15 Likes

This is so low energy.

3 Likes

And that’s the main reason it’s not going to happen. Big Ag and corporations aren’t going to put up with protectionism like this. They just won’t. As @lestatdelc said, there are some Americans who would cheer this on both Left and Right. If they think there aren’t any jobs in manufacturing NOW, passing something like this would send our economy into Third World status.

If Congress is having trouble passing tax reform, and this is on a magnitude far greater than that so…

10 Likes

NAFTA isn’t technically a treaty, but rather a congressional-executive agreement (CEA). And the short answer is, we have no idea if a POTUS can unilaterally withdraw on his own, and what happens to the NAFTA provisions which were passed into law by Congress if a withdrawal notification is sent to Canada and Mexico. It is unknown at best.

17 Likes

That makes me LOL. :joy:

4 Likes

Just read the link. I didn’t realize that. Even so, Rump would face a tidal wave of push back to this.

3 Likes

Don’t I wish. I’m really in red state hell.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available