Discussion: Report: Former Dem Sen. Evan Bayh To Jump Into Indiana Senate Race

Hey all you Democratic purists here hating on Bayh, Indiana here. You can not like Evan Bayh for his corporate ties, but he is thoughtful and smart guy and represents his party and state very well. The alternative is Todd Young who votes straight R 95% of the time and worked for the Heritage Foundation. He voted for the government shutdown, is a reliable Obamacare repeal voter and supports RFRA! Indiana is a pretty red state and Bayh is infinitely better than Young so quit whining, that’s what Republicans do!

14 Likes

Except he didn’t come out of the primary, the guy that came out of the primary for some reason suddenly decided to step aside in favor of Bayh. From the article it isn’t clear if Bayh was even in the primary.

Bayh was not in the primary. The party enticed him back in when it became obvious that the right candidate might win the seat. Hill knows he’s going to lose and he’s stepping out for someone that might not, because he’s a good egg. Hopefully he gets his reward sooner rather than later.

ETA:
The same thing is happening in Florida on the Republican side, by the way, with Marco Rubio. I’m seeing the same thing a congressional district bordering mine, where the primary winner dropped out. Weird elections this year.

8 Likes

Evan Bayh is a tool.

1 Like

oh happy happy joy joy just what we need another third way blue dog shit corporate dem runnign for office…hey evan your daddy would be so phuckin disappointed in ya for being the douchebag you turned out to be but max Baucus would be so proud

1 Like

OT, but that’s not something I’m happy to hear. My wife and I just bought our first new car ever and I’m pretty sure that is who handles the dealers financing.

1 Like

I dunno,. Someone could ask him. He’s not dead…

2 Likes

Veto proof Senate? Not at all likely. Majority is possible however.

4 Likes

I live in Youngs media market and I don’t for a second believe this at all. He’d get the Cotton /Cruz/Paul/Lee treatment. He would quickly become a young “rock star” Republican and he’d constantly hog up as much oxygen as the media would allow him. He’s mildly attractive in that Republican fetal alcohol sorta way, so he’d get a lot of attention.

11 Likes

How did I know he was from Southern Indiana without even knowing the district he’s in? Sheesh. They grow soybeans and stupid people down there, I guess.

I giggled like a 12 year old over this. Thank you so much.

4 Likes

I’m over here in KY just baffled at some of the responses because I’m thrilled. This is a huge victory for Democrats and especially for my IN neighbors. Yes, Bayh is a blue dog and yada yada yada, but he’s one who’ll vote with President Clinton 90‰ of the time as opposed to Young who’ll vote against her 99% of the time. Why is this even a discussion? He’s the best possible candidate IN Democrats could field right now. And, more than that, this is an enormous tell that Democrats not only believe they can expand the map, but they can pick up some Senate seats they may not have even been considering. This is unmitigatedly fantastic!

13 Likes

I’ve missed agreeing with you on stuff. :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, they do! I really, really dislike him. And I know the DC press corps would fawn all over him. Seriously, this is a guy we don’t ascending to the Senate. Maybe not 2020, but he’d be either on someone’s VP short list in 2024 or running at the top of the ticket himself.

Oh and lots of love to Baron Hill. You rock!

2 Likes

Except they actually have achieved quite a lot, just look at the damage they have been able to do in places like Wisconsin or Kansas, or our current Congress which is one of the most conservative in the history of this country, or most significantly how they have been able to pull the national conversation so far to the right that anyone on the right whose isn’t a full on frothing at the mouth lunatic gets treated as a moderate by the media. Yes they have shot themselves in the foot in areas, but they still been fairly effective at doing damage to this country.

2 Likes

A little liberal in Indiana is a hell of a lot better than a lot crazy conservative.

Even a moderate that just voted sanity would be terrific. Hopefully Bayh could get over that bar.

5 Likes

Should’ve saved the money used to stage the primary for the general election, seeing as it was ultimately pointless.

True that. He is not a bad man. He’ll be the best we could hope for at this time to take this seat.

3 Likes

I would like to see some data, particularly regarding the specific case of the Bayh’s in Indiana.

Indiana is kind of a hard state to grasp, electorally. It went for Obama in 2008 and then went for Romney in a pretty big way in 2012. It’s a red state, but I don’t think its the ruby red, Trump loving kind of red. I doubt Hillary wins it, but I suspect Bayh could.

2 Likes

Strauss makes a good point, and I’m glad to see he was able to write something that doesn’t look like his TPM era copy-paste jobs.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Evan_Bayh_campaign_logo.jpg

Remind you of anyone? Fine…if it gets us the majority in the Senate… But I really don’t care for the guy. He’s a No Labels pol. He’s a former Chairman of the now defunct DLC that tried to steer the Democratic Party away from left-leaning and more progressive positions held since the days of FDR. If he wins, just don’t put this guy on the Banking or Energy Committees again. He’s a fucking corporatist through and through…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available