Discussion: Rep. Schiff ‘Worried’ GOP Plans To Shut Down House Intel’s Russia Probe

Thanks for your reporting, Ms. Kirkland.

Among other things I appreciated your including the Twitter thread; I would not have seen it otherwise.

6 Likes

I see a few differences between Watergate and this. Nixon resigned and Ford pardoned him, ending the investigation and there was no interference in the process by hostile foreign powers. I don’t see Trump resigning like Nixon or getting pardoned by his successor. And with the Russia aspect of the story this time around, I don’t think the investigation could be just swept under the rug, even if he did resign and get pardoned.

So anyone who tries to pull a Dole with Trump seems like they are asking for a world of hurt when it all goes belly up. I don’t think they can stop the investigation and anyone who gets in the way is likely to get steamrolled along with Trump and Co.

7 Likes

That wasn’t a coup attempt. It was a stupid, drunken attempt to hang onto power when he saw the train coming down the tracks. The fact that Dole’s continued support didn’t hurt his career in the 70’s and people forgot about it and moved on has no bearing on how that behavior would be viewed in 2017. I’m not suggesting that every Republican who stands by him would face consequences, but my point is that they’re not going to concede their own power and their own political goals to PP. Frankly, it’s just silly to think they would.

8 Likes

end the Congressional investigations of trump and fire Bob Mueller and you would see the country blow apart with angry people in the street.
edit
It would be bad enough should PP start pardoning anyone.

2 Likes

Not going to argue the point here. Your impression is your impression.

[quote]my point is that they’re not going to concede their own power and their own political goals to PP.
[/quote]

And my point is that, as in the historical example, supporting a criminal in the White House may not entail giving up on their own long-term goals.

Oh, well, now I’m convinced.

Moveon.org has already started organizing, if Mueller is fired.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested. I registered for whatever is planned for my city.

5 Likes

We could use more people in the streets. The country can stand it, whatever happens.

6 Likes

Plus, Richard Nixon, bad as he was, wasn’t anything close to what PP is. His congressional colleagues didn’t hate him and didn’t begin questioning his sanity six months into his presidency. He was very popular, well liked even. Hell, he got reelected and won every state. And he behaved like a president. It wasn’t until the end when he was pretty much drunk all the time did the wheels fall off. Without Watergate, Nixon’s would’ve been a fairly successful presidency. This isn’t that.

6 Likes

I think you’re missing the original discussion because I wasn’t arguing that supporting a criminal in the WH would lead to long term political consequences. My point, that you originally responded to, was that Republicans in Congress aren’t going to go along with PP becoming some dictator for life. They’re not going to give up their own political ambitions, their own desire to be president, while they wait for him to die. The notion that they would be OK with this man being president for anything beyond the possible eight years is what’s silly.

2 Likes

It’s impossible for me to fathom Mueller being oblivious to Trump’s machinations to oust him. At the same time, there’s no reason for Mueller show his cards until the moment Trump moves to fire him. He can then proceed to present to congress everything he’s got because there’d be nothing to lose.

I don’t think Mueller can be cowed into playing into Trump’s hands by showing his hand prematurely. But I have no illusions that Trump’s constant obstruction and the orchestrated effort by GOP congress members amplified by Fox News to blow smoke on the investigation are unduly making it much more difficult for Mueller to operate. Much of his success depends on his ability to pressure potential witnesses to talk, and that becomes all the more challenging when he’s publicly undermined by questions as to whether he’ll be allowed to complete his investigation.

5 Likes

I think that’s fair to say. For one thing, Nixon and then Ford did not have Fox News on their side, whereas Trump and perhaps his successor will. There are other differences as well.

In any event, my point was only that there will be those who continue to support Trump, and if all of them are made to pay the price I will be pleasantly, albeit only mildly, surprised.

Have a good week-end.

3 Likes

Yes, with that I agree. Thanks for clarifying me in.

6 Likes

No problem. Sometimes when people are replying to a reply of a reply, things get lost in the discussion. Happens to the best of us

4 Likes

And, if they are screaming about the texts, let’s see what those NY FBIers, who pushed the ridiculous anti-Hillary EMAILS!!! investigation despite all the facts, who rejoiced over Comey’s letter, privately texted back then. Yeah let’s read all their private communications back then…

I KNOW the names they called Hillary were FAR worse than “an idiot.” And what is truly far worse is their personal political view clearly influenced their EMAILS!!! push.

11 Likes

If Schiff is going to be the only one that fears the Russia Probe shutdown then we’re all fucked. The orange asshole and all his ilk will walk. Watch it happen.

Is this possibly the reason?

6 Likes

I was beginning my science career in 1970-71 and I remember Nixon all too well when he was very popular. That guy is not Nixon. He is a deranged rich boy who thought being POTUS was one long photo op and ego stroke. I am very angry at the voters for opting for him.

6 Likes

Fiscal boundary is in July, not January. The government doesn’t run on a calendar year. Not sure that Gowdy even knows that.

1 Like

(Catching up now… :no_mouth:)

ETA: And apparently rumor mill chatters are now exactly about that… they are closing in on an in-law, and closing means so close.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available