Discussion: Rep. Schiff ‘Worried’ GOP Plans To Shut Down House Intel’s Russia Probe

I watched Maddow last night and she had a panel of former U.S. Attorneys on, and I believe they were in agreement that bias was one of those rules. Perhaps that is why the conservative media is laying it on thick…?

I normally would predict an unhinged tweetstorm from Cheetolini, but in light of your (very informative-educational) post, I should instead expect escalations of the pressure to end investigations, fire Mueller.

Side note: Your well written and insightful posts give us non-lawyers here, valuable perspective. Thank You.

1 Like

I believe that plays a significant part, yes. I also think that A) Ryan is spectacularly bad at the job, and thoroughly hates it B) Ryan is facing the first actual hard campaign of his life in 2018 against Randy Bryce C) Ryan is facing a series of very difficult “must pass” bills that he has been kicking down the road for the past year or so, that he will have to deal with in 2018. And dealing with them will make him VERY unpopular, particularly with the HFC Masters who hold his chain.

My own personal suspicion…and its obviously not confirmed anywhere…is that Ryan does indeed have knowledge of Russian money flowing into GOP House races and coffers. Fund raising, something he is not very good at and by all accounts despises having to do (not fund raising was one of his demands when he took the Speaker seat, and it was promptly ignored), is a very crucial part of the Speaker job. Easy money from Russia was probably a temptation that Ryan couldn’t refuse to get that odious task off his plate.

3 Likes

Thank you for writing this. It is exactly what I needed to hear today. I stomped out of the house tonight after picking a fight with my fiance about whether one should worry about things that haven’t happened yet. I insisted that I should start worrying as soon as possible; he did not. Sometimes you need to hear it from someone else to see the wisdom in it. :wink:

4 Likes

There seemed to be some talk that Rohrabacher had some ‘suspicious’ Russian associations as well. Perhaps this is bigger than the 2016 cycle…?? GOP in bed with foreign adversary??

Ok, upon further review (read @geofu54 & @tomanjeri posts earlier in thread), scratch that last question.

2 Likes

“Ramsey said the national Democratic party declined to support her over the lawsuit.”

As reported looks like fired employee made false claims.

You missed one part: Trump tries to help Russia by trying to lift the sanctions,

Voters chose someone else. Bug in the Electoral College landed us with him. Plus some help from Russia.

1 Like

Things are so bad that the EPA’s buildingr just became a whistleblower. Good on you, building!

2 Likes
    ajm

Voters chose someone else. Bug in the Electoral College landed us with him. Plus some help from Russia.

I know but still millions…tens of millions did vote for him and to me I find that deeply disturbing. Those people knew what they were buying and they did it anyway. They actively voted against their direct self interest. I have seen this behavior before but never at this scale. A huge majority of these folks still today avidly support trump against their self interest. They know full well the tax bill is ripping them off. That it enriches large corporations. They applaud the death of a free internet. They have no problem with Russian interference in our elections. They applaud trump’s making money from foreign sources (emoluments clause), his obstruction of justice, collusion, and all the rest. They are cool with it all. They are quite willing to hand our country to any adversary. We’re like a beached whale spewing goods and money and our sacred rights with a sign that says “FREE Come and Get It!” And I take deep offense at that.

1 Like

These people eat their own young! How else to explain making children pay for corporate greed?

Run for office- the 2018 elections are less than a year away! And if Trump and Louie Gohmert can get elected what’s to stop a qualified candidate?

Become a Precinct Committee Officer, sometimes it’s a Ward officer. You’ll meet with neighborhood Dems and get out the vote. Find good citizens willing to run for office.

Register people to vote. If you need to help people overcome the GOP-led Voter run-around help them do that.

Run for School Board. Make sure Civics is being properly taught. Think a majority of America knows how government works? Just 26% of eligible voters in America voted for Trump and half of eligible voters stayed home last November. Today’s 12-year olds will be voting for President in 8 years.

Run for Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, Borough Assembly.

Get appointed to your Planning Commission. Know everything going on in your community.

Run for State Legislature or Congress. The next census is in 2020, just over 2 years from now, when we redraw Congressional Districts.

And get rid of GERRYMANDERING! Safe GOP seats gave us such intellectual giants as Louie Gohmert and Steve King. In most cases it’s the state Legislature that draws Congressional boundaries. Make it FAIR, OPEN and HONEST! We can do this!

Overturn Citizens United. Money is NOT speech and Corporations are NOT people- at least not until Texas executes one, and overturn any voter ID laws that are clearly an attempt to disenfranchise the poor and people of color.

“If you’re disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself.”
-President Barack Obama

“Those who would purposely mislead or seek to confuse others are bad people. Worse, they are evil.”
-Kathleen Parker

You Got To Run!

1 Like

I see. That explains the four indictments and guilty pleas that has been handed down so far.

2 Likes

darrtown, I feel the same way. I can understand the variety of reasons people voted for Trump and how this clusterfuck occurred, but at the gut level I continue to circle back to “how did this happen and who are these people?” I just moved to the States from Canada (I have dual citizenship) and it is so bewildering and, honestly, at times, horrifying. Particularly as a young Jewish woman I feel nervous in a way I have never experienced. Maybe I’m over reacting, but when I think tens of millions of people voted for trump I too am deeply disturbed.

1 Like

Russia helped Trump win the election. Trump knowingly took that help through his eager agents. Trump tried to lift sanctions in defiance of Congress.

If the Republicans had any balls, he’s be impeached already.

2 Likes

Nothing in the dossier has been disproven, a lot has been proven. So good luck with that.

1 Like

Get undisturbed.

The people who voted for him were chosen and groomed to vote for him by Russia. Data Analytics picked them out and made them Trump’s.

1 Like

The only way to get to that is elect democrats and to a veto level majority in both chambers.
Unfortunately.

1 Like

Well that IS the remedy that the founders established for us when they wrote the constitution. We resolve these things mostly at the ballot box. We were the first country to do it this way and it is a better way in general.

1 Like

I’m relatively certain the vast majority of Trump voters were huge fans of his TV show and think he’s a cool guy.

Rude Awakening in progress.

2 Likes

It’s funny, I forgot he even had a show unless people brought it up. I have never seen a single episode. And it’s not like I don’t watch some shitty television, because I definitely do. But I always knew Trump as New York real estate crook. I never imagined that people would connect him with a reality game show and base his governing skills on 40 minutes of weekly edited footage. But, I guess I’m the idiot here.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I’ve never watched it either. :slight_smile:

Reality TV is pure fantasy.

(BTW, the “like” was for the entire post except the last sentence. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available