Discussion: Progressive Wing Seeks To Reassert Control Over Democratic Party

Discussion for article #231333

THIS, my friends, is why Joe Manchin is leaving. **fist thundering upon the table**

(…and nothing of value was lost)

At least Rep. Ellison gets it though.

Where is Grijalva in all of this? He’s a leading progressive voice, yet never seems to get in print.

12 Likes

The Dems could push a more progressive agenda while holding together by focusing on the distinction between small and big.

The small need support and to have burdens lifted. The big need scrutiny and regulation and to pay back to the society that makes success possible.

But is the Dem leadership attuned to the needs of the small? Who are Chuck Shumer’s friends?

12 Likes

It’s been decades since corporate Democrats supported the small.

They’ve been thoroughly bought and paid for with campaign bribes.

10 Likes

And it’s about damn time.

13 Likes

When Democrats act like Republicans they lose.

It’s time for Democrats to start acting like Truman, FDR, Kennedy and LBJ again. Fight like hell for the middle class and the poor and tell Wall Street to drop dead!

29 Likes

Q) Why don’t you see Grijalva in the news?

A) Because your Corporate Controlled Conservative Press is too busy slobbering over Joni Ernst.

16 Likes

True, Grijalva is one of those scary brown people and not a swimsuit model.

And egads and I do declare, he doesn’t even shave. OH MAH LORDY, THA HORROR.

Where’s my fainting couch?

9 Likes

Schumer is by far not the only one. Most of the leadership in both houses is Corporatist.

9 Likes

Diogenes wandered through the Agora at noon, carrying a lantern. When asked why, he explained that he was looking for an honest man.

I wish my little flame of hope would burn more brightly. But when those with blood on their hands are challenged to repent, they will surely wonder what you meant. Just ask the bloody minded fools that populate the Supreme Court.

Are the Democrats capable of transforming themselves into the party of the People, by the People, and for the People? Is a leopard capable of trading it’s spots for stripes? The Democrats are the abused wife of a violent Republican husband, and they love him dearly. “What was that you murmured? Don’t make me come over there or you will regret it!”

8 Likes

And because what he says rarely fits into the “Democrats in Disarray!” narrative. You have to take Ellison out of context to fit it into that frame, but Grijialva rarely gives a quote that can be taken out of context. He goes all reasoned and measured and sensible and uses long words and sentences with multiple clauses. The media effing hates that.

16 Likes

“I think there will be divisions,” Dean said. “We’re at our best when we’re competing for the best ideas, even though a lot of folks on the inside don’t particularly like that.”

Says the guy whose paycheck depends on these things being true.

Meanwhile, I’m remembering that at the time people like Dean and the PCC were ripping the Democrats apart, fanning the flames of internal acrimony, and generally treating people to their immediate right as greater enemies than those who were to their far right, all because because of the enormous, terrible, awful, intolerable, slap in the face hippy punching betrayal of Obama’s failure to put on his Green Lantern ring and giving Real Progressives, the only people who got Obama elected, the imaginary Public Option of their dreams, the Republicans were uniting, storming town halls and mobilizing for the 2010 midterms which somehow they, and they alone, noticed was a redistricting year.

15 Likes

We gave the centrist wing a chance at running the party and so far, it’s been a bust. It doesn’t appeal to most Dems and tends to “assist” in turnout (I’m not saying it’s the only reason). In regards to governing, it hasn’t helped the country and the media just manipulates Dem centrists to the Repubs advantage.

Yeah, it’s about time.

14 Likes

Yeah, I seriously doubt Manchin gets reeelected. WVa has gone Red at the Federal level and that’s just that. Of course, he’ll blame President Obama for letting the crazy commie wing of the Democrats take over the party.

7 Likes

“Most people voting Democrat don’t know what they’re voting for right now,” Dean said. “They don’t know who we are or what we’re for. If we don’t have [Warren’s] kind of leadership in the presidential debates, the Democrats will not be in the White House in January 2017.”

That about sums it up for me. I’m tired of blindly following someone just because they have a “D” after their name

8 Likes

Well, we had a whole lot of those 3rd way people tossed out in the last election…hopefully that will change things in leadership…and I hope that Bernie Sanders runs against Hillary

3 Likes

That’s unfortunately true. That’s why the party can only generate enthusiasm by highlighting the insanity of Republicans.

1 Like

Now, don’t you go starting the Obamabot v. Emoprog fight!

PermanENT RepubLICAN MAJORitY FOREVER!1!11!!!one!1!!!

4 Likes

Personally, I can’t go for that.

For me, ANY Dem is still better than a Repub. Maybe that wasn’t true prior to 2001. Now, the Repubs are thoughrougly infested with teabaggers. I won’t vote for HRC in the primary but she will get my vote if she makes it to the general.

As you said, most of the Blue Dogs are gone and the remaining Dems are more “Dem” than before. The price we’ve paid for that is to lose the Senate. I hope this next incarnation of Dems allows us to retake Congress in '16.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available